Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting boyfriend to leave house

Options
  • 06-01-2024 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Looking for some info please. My female friend is in a relationship with her boyfriend and they have a 1 year old son. They live in a rented house with her parents. The lease for house is in her mother's name. Her boyfriend is drinking and gambling and being verbally abusive to her. She has had enough of the relationship and wants to split up and have him leave the property. How would she go about this and what rights does she have as the boyfriend refuses to leave. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Legal Discussion.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contact Women's Aid for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

Is there a way she could engage his family and friends for support? It is difficult, as she will want to keep the situation as calm as possible. Unless he deserts his child, she will be dealing with him in some capacity for the next 20 years. She will need to facilitate ongoing access to the child.

However, he has no rights to live in the house, and sounds potentially dangerous. Women's aid may provide some advice on this, or a garda community liaison officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Either call the guards, go to court and get a barring order against him , go to women's refuge. This is her mother's house so he should just feck off but make sure not to say too much legal action against him as he may torch the house if he's that way inclined which I really hope he isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As above women's aid. Citizens advice might be able to help. If the abuse escalates go straight to the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Haddonfield

She is getting support from us all but that's all we can give. We can't force the guy to leave. I think Womens Aid is her best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If he's not named on the lease, he has no right to stay in the property. If he's told to leave and doesn't, give the gardai a call.

Thats the thing. He is not on the lease and she wants him out. But he is the babys Dad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is he working?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement