Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partners brother and sister in law and 3 children allocated a 4 bed home/four toilets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We really need a new political party. A party who prioritise the working. Who want to root out the waste and stop giving them money for free.

Im a big tax payer. I have no issue in supporting those who cannot work because of disabilities. I believe we have a duty of care to them.

But they days where Mary or Johnny can get everything on a plate and get cash in hand should be numbered.

Support the working person first.

All of this "entitlement" culture has been nurtured and championed by fianna fail and Fine Gael governments over the last few decades.

Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Wasn’t Leo goin to be the leader for the people who get up early in the morning.

Yeah. For people who get up early, have a piss and head back to bed for 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

But the family I know have only 4 kids but received brand new 3 storey 4 BR house with big parking where they park there 3 cars!!!

The working families have to pay mortgage plus government TXA for buying with their money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

I agree this is a great country for those allergic to work. Those of us who work are disregarded, disrespected and taken for granted with those at the top continuously dreaming up new ways to squeeze the few remaining euros out of us and call them fancy names like 'carbon tax', USC, pension levy etc. All this to keep those with the incurable life long work allergy in the cosy, debt free life they feel they'll entitled to.

But there are a few genuine hard cases. I am aware of a single man in his early 60's, living alone in a very rural area, nearest shop is 3 miles away. He worked all his life up to about 8 years ago but he had to retire due to fairly serious health issues. He's now on disability benefit with a weekly income of, guesstimate, €220 to €230.00 Due to his disability he has to have a car but at least he's fortunate that he inherited the family home so there's no mortgage to worry about. Out of this, say, €230 he has to pay all grocery bills, gas, electric, house maintenance, property tax, car maintenance, petrol, road tax, insurance etc. car is 2011 reg. He managed to get by up until last year thanks to some savings he had from the time he worked. But last year with all his savings gone he could not afford the repair bills to get his car thru NCT, to pay insurance etc. So long story short his neighbours organised a collection and he's driving and so living independently for another year at least. Approx 12 miles from this man three young men, all under 30, are staying in a hotel, they do not work. All their meals are prepared for them with a choice menu daily, they have full access to gym and swimming pool all free. They have the services of mini bus available almost 24/7 free. Medical card etc. They are gentlemen of leisure, spending their time out jogging, in the pool or the gym. They don't have to worry about grocery bills, electric or gas bill, property tax, car expenses etc. etc. but the icing on their cake is that they get paid €220 per week for doing s.f.a. You just could not make it up. Compare their lifestyle to that of the local man who worked all his life paid taxes etc. and now when his health has failed he has to depend on the generosity of neighbours or else end up in a retirement home for the elderly. As you may have guessed they are from Ukraine and should not be here, they should be at home helping their fellow countrymen defend their country. They are not alone in this hotel, they are accompanied by over 50 others men, women & children all, on the face of it, seemingly genuine refugees. Over half of them including these 3 young men enjoyed a weeks holiday in Spain, Portugal etc. last summer and some travelled home to Ukraine for xmas to spend time with family....hard to believe but sadly true. One would be forgiven to ask a rather innocent question '' If Ukraine is considered safe enough for the rest of their family why no for them''???. You just could not make it up

Ireland is a great country for a certain cohort of folk but you need to know how to play the system😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Exactly,

my partners brother, only has 3 children, so is only supposed to be entitled to a 3 bed home, the previous house had that, it was a small house and suited their needs, this new house is beyond their needs.

The family you know should have gotten a house with 3 bedrooms aldo

None of the children have ADHD as far as I'm aware, the La gave them a House beyond their needs,

another example, I know of a single mother with one child got a 3 bed house, and another is a widow with 2 girls was given a 2 bed, and she works during school hours, the single mother doesn't work, incredulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It's not a story that's exactly unusual for anyone here. I've heard similar stories myself.

The social housing model in Ireland is not fit for purpose. Back in the day when tenements were being cleared out, it was perhaps functional, but those days are long gone. Today, some people are given a house or apartment with all maintenance included for a very small rent (that may not even be paid) whilst those who do not qualify for social housing must either pay decades long mortgages or huge monthly rents. Even worse, the state is competing with the latter group using their own tax euros to buy housing for the former.

It's also worth noting that the level of social housing available doesn't even meet the ever growing demand that exists for it, and that was the case even before the days of mass immigration.

I don't know that solution here is, but the social housing model as it exists is ethically and financial unsustainable.

know few other families who recently moved to Ireland and some of them own house in Italy or Asian countries but moved here to get free house. They are getting full social welfare benefits as they work in cash business like taxis .

they have got 5 start brand new houses while our kids are cramped in old house with second hand furniture as we try to save pennies to save on heating bills.

cherry on top is when these guys throw big parties and show photos of their houses in other countries !!

Perhaps they came here after Roderic O'Gorman (or rather, the civil servants who tell him what to do) had those advertisements printed up in a dozen languages and distributed about the world. And people still call the gangsters that "run" this country incompetent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP my guess is that the other family had rent arrears or suchlike, which made them ineligible for a transfer.

Either that or your BIL / SIL were pulling or on the receiving end of some serious ASB and the council just needed to get them moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Why is everyone complaining?

young people want more of this and continue to push the narrative in this country to the left.

so all going well it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Just be happy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

Whilst I agree with you wholeheartedly out of the three main parties who do you think supports the entitlement culture more?

I'll give you a hint,it's not FF OR FG.

We haven't seen anything yet.

Lets see. As ive said the current culture has been created by FGG. They have nurtured it over the years and promoted it with various increases to allowances.

Will a SF govt. make it better or worse? I dont know. I need a change though. We need to try something different.

Im not so suare they will be any worse than the current govt. who have created the housing crisis, failed year after year to sort the HSE, abondoned carers, mental health services for children are non existent.

Are we happy continue down that road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive a friend who faked mental illness to stay on the dole and to not get kicked out of his rental about 10 years ago.

A few years later he is permanently on disability and was given an apartment that would be worth about €350k from just looking up recent sales of similar.

He never misses an opportunity to tell the rest of us what mugs we are. Have a relative, not with disability, but on the social too with a council house says we are all mugs too.

Im starting to believe it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

It's depressing and it's true. Father in law worked all his life paid taxes and has a chronic illness. Retired with a poor pension. Only a few years ago got the medical card after many attempts to get it. Sick to death off listening about the Ukraine and all the stories about some of them just taking the goddam piss. But its treasure Ireland and its to be expected. The Irish Taxpayer, taking for a ride by the left, right and centre.

Ah don't worry about them. The state will ensure that they have all the rainbow flags they could ever want.

As far as I know they are not in arrears,

As you mentioned, my BIL/SIL may have being pulling, because as far as I understand, she sought the transfer, and figured out a few years back both herself and her husband qualified for disability allowance, due to minor disabilities they both have, also myself and her mother seem to think they are going to try for more children, maybe she told the council that fact, I don't know though, as they have been very vague in any questions asked of them, I don't to think ASB was an issue either, because they get on with their now former neighbors and most have visited them in the new home, as mentioned in a previous reply,

I know of a single mother with one child got a 3 bed house, and another is a widow with 2 girls was given a 2 bed, and she works during school hours, the single mother doesn't work, incredulous.

IMO it seems the LA put those on welfare payments before working class citizens, the widow is payed so much she can't receive SW payment, apart from her two girls having medical cards AFAIK.

Also found out today my family have been notified they have been granted a supplementary allowance to furnish the home and buy appliances, I for one said to them why do you need that money when they have everything from the previous house, response was yeah we'll be bringing them, but the money will go towards new bits and bobs, they intend on buying a dishwasher as there is a gap for one in the units, also she wants a small stand alone freezer that will fit in the utility room, hob& oven/grill also, everything else she has.

I'm not judging them, it's just that I find it unusual, the council could of transferred her to another bigger 3 bed house, she used to always moan that her previous home was too small, and she'd love a walled garden, with plenty parking space, previous home only had enough room for one car in the drive and side access would be about a 3 foot wide gate, whereas the new place the back yard is so big you could park a few cars in it and have plenty of walking room, that's just the concreted part the back lawn has 3 very large sheds in situ, and plenty of grass for the kids to play on, it's a really long back garden, IMO they've hut the jackpot with this new home or theirs, although I feel it's way beyond their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Neighbours on my road from Africa got a free house from the council. It was on the private market but brought by the council and fitted out for them when it was already perfect inside. It's a 4 bed detached house. It's a joke when the rest of us have to work hard to.keep a roof over our heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

I know plenty of non Irish born who have got brand new builds... I don't know should I admire them and join them or just laugh at the unfairness of it all and the fact I get up early every morning. I just have another 18 years on my mortgage. Not long to go. Great country all the same.

New immigrants think that accomodation n welfare is government responsibility !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, there's a good proportion of the native population who think the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Have we had the "abandoned buggies at bus stops: post, yet?

Whats your point? Are you suggesting that what has been said on this thread isnt true?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Fair play to them. When you see how those in power game the system then why not. They are doing nothing illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

I'd say like most stuff on Boards it's complete made up BS to pump an agenda

I'm not going to get into relating the stories that I have of immigrants who receive welfare without having contributed anything, for I have many. I will simply say, that a welfare state with open borders is essentially a bank-vault with no door. If this keeps up (and it will), we'll have tenements again in Dublin before the end of the decade.

There's nothing wrong with immigration, but it needs to be kept low and limited only to skilled, upstanding individuals who will integrate and contribute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

3 houses a few kms apart between Kilsallaghan and Oldtown bought by the council during Covid. All 3 were extensively renovated by the council.

When you saw the stables going up behind each of them you knew who was getting them. They have since moved in and the houses went from being really nice looking after they were done up to eye sores. Take a drive up that road and you will spot these particular houses easily. Theres another one the same down near lispopple cross.

Advertisement