Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Aer Lingus not fly to Reus?

Options
  • 07-01-2024 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Family of 4 (including two young kids) looking to fly from Dub to Reus in May or June. Only Ryanair fly there from Dub (other than occasional charter). Flights are frequent but prices are very expensive - €1,600 to €2,300 depending on dates. Nearly anywhere else in Europe, including the Canaries, is cheaper.

Why does Aer Lingus not fly to Reus, does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

because they fly to BCN 93km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Rossie11

Ryanair fly there from Shannon but prices this year about double last year. Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

They fly to BCN which is the main airport in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Yes, I’m aware Aer Lingus flys to BCN, but Ryanair flys to both (as well as Girona).

With the flight frequency to Reus (2 or 3 flights per day each way) and prices (eye watering), it seems like there is money to be made on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Where Ryanair has a monopoly and demand is strong, it tends to behave accordingly. Before the advent of LCCs, Reus was at best a seasonal charter destination from DUB and I'm not even sure that it was served for a long tme on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

No Reus is profitable for RYR only because there is no competition, and BCN DUB already served by 3/4 airlines, better to use the cheaper airport. EI would haemorrhage money on a Reus route. If RYR had spare slots with good times in BCN they’d move some of their Reus capacity to BCN. But their slot portfolio can be more profitable flying BCN to elsewhere. Think they have 15 aircraft based in BCN this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I remember many years back on a Sunday, Monarch used to send two A300's from Dublin to Reus. They had a 361 seat capacity on their A300s.

I don't believe EI would haemorrhage money on the route - with the right frequency, specifically targeting those visiting Salou (Wed/Sat etc). easyJet have started operating to Reus to compete with FR with initial low frequency this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I think the most fundamental reason is because they choose to send their aircraft elsewhere.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

BCN would have transatlantic feed too for EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Also EI into Level possibly in the IAG family

• Advertisement
Advertisement