Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Masters - Jan 7th to Jan 14th - BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Higgins is just missing a few clutch shots now, that is keeping him back from winning the titles.

Misses green with the rest to go 2-0 up and Allen wins with the respotted black to bring it to 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Knocking in a one visit break now, sort of out of character for the match. Higgins on 90% safety. But still only 2-1 up should have been 3-0.

I noticed Virgo and Murphy have been hyper critical of both players, in commentary.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Another long, tight match. 5-5

Higgins is his own worst enemy makes life very hard for himself. Threw that match away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The only one who beats Higgins is himself. It’s always been that way, but he just doesn’t have the mental strength for it anymore. He’ll get enough wins to stay in the 16 for a while, but I can’t see him winning anything any time soon.

When was the last time he won a deciding frame? He either blows people away or loses tight matches. I think that run a few seasons ago where he lost 4 finals in a row broke him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Higgins and Allen were both abysmal yesterday. Not much to take from Selbys match against a weak opponent.

I think it must have, I remember he said he was thinking of retirement after that.

There was an interview pre- match yesterday (can't remember who with) but Hazel Irvine pointed out in studio that Higgins said he no longer 'believes' he 'hopes'. I thought that was really odd. Hendry said if a player does not believe he is going to win he has no chance.

Great chance for Hawkins to win this. Ronnie struggling badly.

Hawkins did not go in for the kill when he had the chance, I think the pressure got to Hawkins. 4-3 Ronnie when it should be 5-2 Hawkins. Missed same pink in the corner pocket twice.

Nice red to win it

• Advertisement

Yep. And Ronnie went in for the kill despite struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's been a fairly poor tournament so far. I hope it kicks up a gear soon.

They all seem to have an edginess for whatever reasons, even the seasoned lads. But you are right overall it has not been great. Bar Ronnie's first match v Ding. There was no game where two players played top tier stuff.

Some top players took little time resting up over Christmas, as Ronnie said they might feel a bit wiped out after all the travel in Asia.

They are earning, but some might be pushing the boat out a bit. This should mean players ranked 16-32 have a chance to pick up the pieces in the other events.

World Grand Prix with top 32 in form begins on ITV4 Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The standard is brutal as usual, O'Sullivan winning at a canter again, on the handy side of the draw again too.

Your Hawkins, Lisowskis, Carter's, Wilson's etc, would be also rans in the 90s, early 00s. It's a sad state of affairs, when O'Sullivan at his age can still canter to wins, regardless of his talent.

Hendry must be fumming, no one to really stand in his way for an 8th world title, barring maybe Selby depending on his form. Trump no good under pressure either. Can knock centuries in for fun, but they dry up fairly quick on him at times when it matters.

Really disappointed the year Trump fell over the line to get the the world final after he beat Williams in the semi. Williams came back and should of finished him off, Trump's confidence went right out the window at the end of that game, and was brutal in the final. Imagine had we got a Williams O'Sullivan final that year.

Imagine a final where both Williams and O'Sullivan click and play to their best, it's one of the few match ups O'Sullivan would be in trouble. Williams a better single ball potter, and hard to stop him getting in first when he's pulling off those mercurial impossible pots.

Only problem for him since he regained form, is his break building often breaks down around the 60/70 points mark and gets frames stolen on him, something that didn't happen to a younger Williams, who was like a robot.

I remember the final Williams won against Higgins, and at the end, Higgins tried to mount a come back. The pressure was off him as he was behind and wasn't missing a ball. The problem was he couldn't really get too close as Williams kept pulling off miraculous pots to get in first every time.

I've never really seen a player pull off the amount of incredible and impossible shots as Williams. O'Sullivan more consistent for sure, but I don't actually think he'd have the ability to pull off some of the stuff Williams can do at times.

If Williams had a better work ethic and practised properly his whole career, it's scary what he could of achieved. As much as he's won, I can't always help but feel disappointed that he's left so much behind him, what could of been. Was a potting machine.

We always talk about O'Sullivan not being focused and head not in it at times, Williams was actually far worse. Gave up practising in 05 for about 13 years. That's the real shame, not O'Sullivan who did always practise, regardless of what he said. For me, Williams is the greatest at his peak, does things I've never seen anyone else capable of doing, bar Alex Higgins in patches!

Good point on Wiiliams mad to think he only returned to playing properly when his wife gave out to him and he won a world title, which he thought he had no chance to - him saying he would the press conference naked etc if he won. He seems to be a big fan of this sight rite craic now though. The way he rolls mad shots in casually adds to the drama of any game.

You are right as well that Ronnie is on the soft side of the draw. Robertson collapsing helped. Unless Murphy (who I assume will beat Lisowski) really ups his game, it looks like a least a final for Ronnie with only playing top form in his first match.

It is a shame as well that those Chinese lads made eejits of themselves with the match fixing, especially Yan Bingtao that fella looked like he was shaping up to dominate snooker for the next decade. There is this strange sort of void in snooker as a result. with no fella in their 20's storming through the auld lads, yet . Unless Zhao can kick on he seems like the only hope for that age group?

Normally you would think you would get three or four young fellas of the same age putting it up to the old brigade. Ronnie keeps expecting it to happen but it has not. The old brigade are still more than holding their own.

Ironically way things are going it looks inevitable that one of the Chinese tournament's will be the new 'major' even over taking the masters (who the likes of Hendry always sees as second to the World Championship in importance).

Despite Williams resurgence and world title win, he still doesn't kill himself practising. He won a world title with a half effort tbh. The site rite stuff was more an exercise in regaining confidence. Could still be performing better generally if his heart was in it, which it still really isn't. He's winging it, albeit with more effort than he once put in.

I remember watching a quarter final against Ding I think, circa 2013, and he was a disgrace. Totally disinterested, got hammered, made no effort to play safe on anything, and went for everything.... and didn't care less. Was thinking, if this is what Williams has become, why take the spot of someone who wants to try.

At least we got him half back to an extent

The standard has been poor since the mid 00s. When Dott and Bingham are winning world titles, you know your in trouble, also rans. When Hawkins and Carter are deemed serious contenders, you know the dept of the field is brutal.

When Hunter passed, Williams stopped practising, Stevens lost confidence, Hendrys form nose dived, that was the end of snooker as we knew it. All that happened in a close time frame

There was a stage, whoever was on form between Higgins and O'Sullivan, had a world title in the bag. And as much as I like both, neither would of had it that handy if facing Hendry or Williams at their peak.

Bar Selby, I struggle to name a truely great player who has come along. Robertson a let down, as is Trump in many ways. After that, nothing since circa 05

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

Just on Williams. In 00s he won two of the triple crown events and racked up a heap of other titles. From what I've read, even then his motivation went out the window for a year or two.

When the wife got onto him after a year or two of living it up and he refocused and put serious effort in, won every televised tournament in the 03 season, including the triple crown. After that the wife said there was nothing she could do to motivate him and the kids came then, so that was that.

Most of what he's won has been over 3/4 seasons where he genuinely applied himself, and is like 4th or 5th as the most successful player in terms of titles and majors won. That's actually staggering, when he applied himself, he demolished everything in front of him, to the point in 03, he was winning nearly everything he entered.

People do forget just how good and dominant he was at his peak, he was actually hated back then as he was like a robot and didn't miss, but looked boring, serious and solemn, despite actually being extremely laid back.

I've never seen a player play to the level he did for a whole season in 03, not even O'Sullivan or Hendry at their very best. This guy was so good at his peak, he was half a level ahead of them at their best imo!

Between like 98 to 04 we had a golden era, of Williams, Hendry, O'Sullivan and Higgins at their best and in that order, with a supporting cast of Stevens, Hunter, Doherty and a few more. Greatest dept of talent the game has seen.

All typed on my phone so apologise for any spelling errors in the above messages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I haven't seen much of the Masters this year yet, mainly highlights, but I really enjoyed the Murphy/Lisowski match yesterday evening. Murphy's in fine form and looking like he's really enjoying himself. I'm hoping he can get past O'Sullivan. Either way it should be a great semi.

One of the better matches this week alright

I see Ronnie is moaning about the venue again. Not much new, lets be honest, but some of these players keep whining about this place and that. It gets tired year on year, when you see a huge improvement in the coverage, earnings and number of different events held.

Some of the punters will see the serial whingers as just spoilt brats. Especially when ticket prices have gone higher.

Tbf it is cold. You see a lot of the players warming hands up on mugs of tea etc. Allen was doing it vs Higgins.

It is hard not to want Ali Carter do well with the Cancer, and the pilot stuff etc. I remember that 'shoulder' on Ronnie. How many people wanted/would like to shoulder Ronnie over the years? But he did it!

But at the same time I saw some of the crowd in T-Shirts. Surprised the snooker lads don't buy electronic hand warmers you can charge them up. Cold hands wouldn't be great for feel for shots.

Ali is a berk. Covid denying, "Democrats rigged the US election" Brexiter.

Oh...didn't know those bits......

--

Anyway, yet another 40 plus year old player at the top end of the rankings.

Anyone who is watching back Trump v Carter Frame 6 is the one to watch, plenty of excitement in it.

Ken in his element with the Wasp/Insect puns Virgo seemed jealous. A bit stung.

• Advertisement

Trump v Carter shaping up to be a great match. Carter very smart getting out of that brown fluke snooker on the green.

Advertisement