Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics 2024

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭scottygee

I'm really hoping for some good basketball in these Olympics. Countdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LeBron to carry the flag for Team USA during the opening ceremony, first basketball player to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

There were a couple of great warmup games over the weekend. Team USA almost got taken down by South Sudan. Australia got a game winner with 1 second to go against France. It looks like it is going to be a great tournament.

Team USA vs Germany at 8pm this evening. This is being shown live on NBA.com Youtube channel.

Good competitive game between the US and Germany there. LeBron really put on a show late in the 4th to get US over the line.

Should be a good two weeks of basketball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Watched USA/Serbia….its not looking good for Embild

• Advertisement

He didn't look too good. I don't know if it's the FIBA ruleset, lingering injuries or the matchup against Jokic but he didn't have a great game or look too mobile. He's generally one too lean into on court gamesmanship so I can't imagine the incessant booing has an effect on him.

He was awful during the 5 warm up matches also - but it might not matter in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cmred

i see the 5.15pm games in lille have been brought forward to 4.15pm - no heads up via email…

hopefully gd atmosphere over there! any good pubs to watch kellie on saturday night, do let us know

I'm seeing this for my game for this coming Friday. I only caught it by mistake by looking at my tickets. There's no changes on FIBA or Olympics website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I said it on the thread in AH but I'll say it here also that it must be strange for Embiid seeing these South Sudan guys leaving it all out there for their country and continent. I wonder what's going through his head tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cmred

Incredible not giving folk heads up re time change. Hopefully people will notice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Barrett

I expect a final between USA and Canada or USA and France.

I was over there this past weekend for the Friday and Saturday games. As it was the last round of group games, there was a lot at stake for all teams with the exception of Puerto Rico who were already eliminated. The atmosphere was electric for all of the games but in particular during France vs Germany. I think we'll see Serbia, Germany, USA & Canada into the semi finals. The women's games were good too and it was great to see the stadium packed out for their games.

France eliminate Canada 82-73, a Canada that is essentially an NBA team. France's 3 top scorers and best players were all Euroleague guys.

FIBA Fournier showed up as well. They were really poor against Germany last Friday so was nice to see a performance from them. Gobert injured or was that a tactical decision?

Tactical, I think Collet stumbled on to a line up that works in the 4th quarter against Germany.

Gobert injured his left ring finger in their last group game. The coach made some mention of it being partially a matchup decision but let's be serious here - he won't run the risk of getting knocked out with Gobert benched for "tactical" reasons

Honestly I don't think he'll play much against Germany either. Himself and Wemby just don't work together and he's absolutely awful posting up.

It'll be a big move to make, a brave coaching decision.

what a **** game!! Immense 4th quarter

LeBron and Steph just unreal

Fair play to Jokic and the Serbians for a heroic effort!!

• Advertisement

Even though Serbia a lost, I'll go to bed happy tonight. It was a victory for European basketball against the 2nd greatest team ever assembled.

Surprised no chat here about it, that was a remarkable final dripping with legacy that served as a sort of ‘passing of the torch’.

LeBron winning Olympics MVP at nearly 40 is just one more slab on the wall of the greatest career ever.

But Wemby was the best player on the court and Steph added to his legacy doing what he has always done better than anyone else. The crowd kept the French in it and it was just a fun basketball game.

But the result, just like always, is basketball remains firmly an American sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Barrett

That was an awesome match. Steph proved that he is the greatest shooter of all time and LeBron proved that he is the King.

Advertisement