Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bins used to block parking spaces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Because someone is parked perfectly legally outside their house and double parking is generally frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I parked outside a house once while visiting friends and a man came out mouthing off.

I told him to jog and and he said something like "it would be a shame if anything was to happen to that car".

I told him if anything happened to that car I'd put his windows in before I left.

Guess what? Nothing happened. He was probably a boards.ie hardman 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I agree wholeheartedly but I done this exact thing and I came out one morning to find my car mysteriously keyed, so sometimes it’s not this simple. There’s some sad cases out there who are extremely protective of the public space outside their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So were people driving in to your driveway or were people parking in empty parking spaces allocated to you?

Olive oil is way more expensive than vegetable oil by the way, but great story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There wouldnt be someone outside their house if everyone followed common decency.

If you have more cars than spaces then thats your problem. Maybe I'll buy 10 cars and park outside 9 peoples houses?

I lived close to the IFSC. My house constantly had cars parked outside it during working hours. That's life. I lived on another road with the same problem, close to a DART station. The residents asked for paid parking, it worked out well, only €60 a car for the year and plenty of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Then I have to move them when I drive out😂and I have no where to move them to. I’m well aware of it I don’t own the road.

just saying it wrecks my head 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If your mother is in a wheelchair you can ask the council to provide a disabled spot outside the house. That should deter people

• Advertisement

I missed this classic. Can I ask where your mother lives in Ireland?

I know you're fond of the tall stories about "back home on the sod", but "Tarquinius and Matilda"? People parking in front of (& blocking) your mothers driveway for a full hour 15 metres from good parking spots?

Where does this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sure come over for coffee John. Want the actual address?

im actually on the home sod as I type. Some of are able to use planes.

if you read .. it says it happens daily Monday to Friday outside my mother’s house. Where I am currently situated.

Yep I know ted1 and thanks for that. No need for the spot, myself and the siblings hunt them. The level of ignorance amongst some people is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I'd hope you're well insured leaving accessible private property like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

We don’t do communal living very well in this country. Poor planning also plays a role in that. Common sense, respect and courtesy can be in short supply.

So women are specifically targeting your mothers house every day, Monday to Friday and purposefully blocking the driveway for up to an hour when there's lots of parking 15 metres away?

There's something going on there NSAman. This isn't normal, it's very far fetched and doesn't usually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

It sounds like you a building a straw man argument here.

It's not that hard to believe that people inconsiderately park in this country, particularly around schools. 😂

There's a difference between a straw man argument and calling someone out. I see inconsiderate parking every day. But I rarely see driveways blocked never one particular driveway being targeted when there's plenty of parking around. I think the story is as fictitious as the names of the kids in the cars - Tarquinius and Matilda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Happened with the neighbor across the road from where i used to live. One week I saw his car had flat tyres every morning. And im sure I saw the tyres were fine the evenings I saw the car. I heard 2 other guys talking about it at the bus stop a few months later. One of them was asking the other what happened with Gary that he doesnt leave his bins out anymore. Had he decided to become a nice neighbor.

What he said was that another neighbor had bought carpet tacks and spread then around where yer mans bins were in close to the kerb every day. After a week of flat tyres and cleaning up carpet tacks every day before he parked he found a note on the bin explaining that every day there were bins on the road there would be carpet tacks spread around them in the day time and overnight, so if he wanted to keep looking for them every morning and evening then he should leave his bins out.

I thought that was very clever tbh. All you have to do is walk past and throw a few tacks out of your pocket as you pass the bins. Nobody would ever see it. Just a flick of the wrist while you walk and its done.

Most people just put big rocks or big plant pots in such a place.

• Advertisement

Calling me out in what? Not that I give a damn, schools…mothers picking up kids… we have an issue. So just because you do not believe it, makes it so? Wow!

I am my siblings will deal with it as we always do.

i didn’t realise my posts caused you so much angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

What a morally bankrupt thing to do and to condone.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

What would people think about this. Outside my house boundary there’s a footpath then about 8 feet of grass and a high kerb, then a bus lane. It’s council property but I am the one cutting the grass and keeping it looking ok. All the other neighbours in the main do the same, but for some reason they all have a tree and there isn’t one outside my house.

There is a person who constantly parks there as she is visiting someone in the neighbourhood a few evenings a week(I don’t know who). I think it might be some sort of home help. But in the winter in particular it becomes a mud fest and won’t recover then in the summer with her still parking on it. I’ve put grass seed down a few times but it looks terrible and makes it harder to cut the grass properly.

Now sometimes other people park there as it’s near a few shops but it is rare, she is easily 95% of it. There’s a car park 100 yards down the road.

Eventually I said it to her one evening when I happened to be outside and saw her, very politely, that it wasn’t a parking space and the grass is getting ruined that I cut, and would she mind please parking down at the car park which is free, or elsewhere. she was very polite and said no problem, left and didn’t see her again for a few months(actually I did see her parked on other grass a few times, areas harder to park in).

All good for a few months, but she is back now again minimum three times a week. It’s the middle of winter and the area is turning into a sh1t mud fest.

What would people think or do about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Plant a tree there same as the others. Ensure it’s well protected though

I had given some thought about that alright, but decided as it was council ground I shouldn’t be planting stuff there, maintenance of a large tree etc over the years. Contacted the council to see would they plant one and no one ever engaged on it.

If this was my mother the car would have been towed on day one, not day two, three, four or fifty four.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's an offence to park on a grass verge (where it is between a roadway and a footway). You could ask the council or Garda for enforcement.

You could also talk to the council roads and parks departments to see if they could do something - like planting a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Leave a note on the car saying that you will be ringing the council/guards if they park there again.

And if they park there again… ring the council/guards.

I didn’t realise it was an offence. I just thought it was a pig ignorant thing to keep doing, even more so after I explicitly asked her not to do it. I will explore this avenue, I think that makes most sense seeing as the council have ignored me about the tree. Thanks guys

• Advertisement

I dont condone it, but it was an interesting conversation to overhear.

Advertisement