Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Tuscon WARRANTY - Automatic gearbox not covered under 5 year warranty

• 08-01-2024 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38 Adelaidedb

Hi

My Other half as a Hyundai Tuscan 1.6 191 Automatic and the reverse will not engage.

Car was brought to dealer and initially was told covered by warranty .

However she is now told that the reverse pack needs to be replaced and is not covered by Hyundai Warranty and that this is only covered up to 20K.

Car has done greater than 20K and is in the 5 year warranty.

does anyone have any experience with this. I assume the automatic gearbox and parts would be covered by Hyundai 5 year warranty.

checked there website no mention that the Auto gearbox is not covered

any advice or guidance appreciated

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Adelaidedb

Thanks Casati, It does

hopefully someone that has more insight to Hyundai 5 year warranty can verify if it’s not covered or should be. At the moment I can’t see why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have 2021 Tucson Hybrid and find this shocking.

I checked Hyundai’s website and gearbox not being included is not mentioned anywhere. There is a "Limited Warranty" on certain items such as ball joints, bushes, etc. But again no mention of the gearbox there. I would suggest to check with another nearby dealer.

https://www.hyundai.ie/warranty/

Thank you master boy, I have checked the same warranty website as well l and I seen the same mention obviously clutches if manual. Brake discs, normal wearing parts etc would not be covered . I’m going to ring another dealer in the morning to see can I get more clarity on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Dual clutch auto in those I think.

• Advertisement

I assume that these would be controlled via wet clutch pack or are they dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I don’t know the specifics but think the 7 speed is dry. Are they saying they won’t cover the clutch repair essentially?

They are saying that they need to replace the reverse part of the box. Sorry not to well up on the auto boxes. Would these be classified as a clutch or a part not covered under warranty.

I assume the car computer would be responsible in changing the gears.

so is it possible if clutch is dry to ride it like a manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

A clutch is rarely if ever covered under any warranty. But as this is a auto, I can't see how someone can ride the clutch and destroy it. It seems a very odd interpretation of the conditions of warranty by Hyundai. What were you quoted to replace this including labour?

So with this mean that the warranty would not stand over this issue I wonder.

• Advertisement

We were quoted €2,200 including labour and have to wait on the parts to come in from England. 5 to 6 days

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is it a UK import by any chance? It sounds a bit strange not to cover an auto box and the only reason I could see it not covered if it was an import.

Also does it have a full Hyundai service history? They are sticklers for this in warranty claims.

Hyundai Ireland can be very finicky with stuff like the above.

It came from Northern Ireland and registered in the south.

Herself as a full service history with Hyundai here in the south since she bought it a year old. she wanted no issues with the 5 year warranty cover which was the main reason she bought the car

I assume the warranty in the north is the same as the south and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

If it was the clutch in a manual car, I can see the logic. But in an auto, it should absolutely be covered under the main warranty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats your issue there - Hyundai Ireland can be reluctant to cover UK import warranty here. Its usually an issue with the full UK service history.

What mileage was on it when it was imported? Its a 191 so should have had at least 4 services - one of those probably before it was imported - Id say that whats throwing the warranty off - it needs a full history from new including any UK services.

Youre best bet - Ring a Northern Ireland dealer and see if they`ll cover it under their UK 5 year warranty or make a call to Hyundai Ireland and find out why its not being covered - the lads there are usually quite nice to deal with.

Not as a UK import - for warranty purposes they are treated as separate markets.

You would expect so. From previous posts learning a bit on how they work not sure how the expect consumers to know the makeup of an auto gearbox . Manuals we all know how a clutch wears and how the user can be the cause.

not sure as anyone have any experience here with a claim of similar nature

Thanks I will call the north dealer in the morning where it was originally purchased and proceed from there and will have to contact Hyundai ireland. That was my plan Initially. So can they shed some light on it

Honestly - Id say the dealer that the car is with is not being fully truthful - From experience theres no way an auto box is only covered for 20k.

Whats happened is they submitted the claim, it was rejected by Hyundai Ireland on the basis that its a UK import and and are now trying to fob you off by saying its only covered for 20k.

Is it the same dealer you bought the car off by any chance?

Actually I think you might be onto

something. hyundai would not recover as they had an issue with putting it thru on there system this morning. We got the insurance recovery to drop the car off as we are near the Hyundai dealer. As we didn’t mind as my partner had recovery on her insurance. Hoping that this was the only obstacle we would encounter with Hyundai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not directly related but I know someone with a kia sportage with manual gearbox issue. Patchy service history and kia did the repair without question on a 2018 recently.

So what is the warranty on the uk car?

Surely either hyundai uk or hyundai ireland will have to cover it?

Will contact the north in the morning to see what the differences are if any .

i assume Hyundai Ireland would cover the claim as it in the south and service by Hyundai here.

Same warranty - 5 years. It would probably be covered in the North.

The UK was always treated as a separate market for warranty purposes with Hyundai - thats not saying it wouldnt be covered down here though. Theres something flagging on their warranty system thats stopping it from being covered and it not a 20k limit on the coverage of the repair.

The dealer needs to call Hyundai and ask why - or else call yourself 01-4609800 - customer service. But you will need the VIN not the reg number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I had a 191 Hyundai imported from the UK that I purchased here in early 2021. It had a full UK service history (4 stamps in the book and receipts in a folder to prove also). I never had an issue with getting warranty work done the 3 times it was required, although the work was nothing to do with the gearbox.

At this stage OP, I would be sending a query to Hyundai Ireland explaining that the dealership has said the warranty claim was rejected and that you want to know the reason why. From the list of "exclusions" to the 5 year warranty, there is no mention of auto gearbox so, like every other reasonable owner out there, I would have also assumed that the issue was therefore covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Sounds like the typical Irish dealer attitude of "You didn't buy it from me so it's not my problem"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Kat1170

So according to this dealer, almost every Hyundai hybrid and fully electric car only has a limited gearbox warranty ?

we contacted the garage in the north. The car actually came from England and sold by Hyundai in the north.

service lady in the garage in the north believed it could be covered but said that a mechanic would have to diagnose it before a warranty claim was accepted.

anyways we contacted Hyundai UK and they said that the clutch pack disc on the auto box was not covered as it was a wearable part. Gave the uk Vin and reg to them.

then contacted Hyundai Ireland . They were not very helpful I wanted to talk to someone dealing with warranties however they were too busy and would not direct me to speak to such a person.

was given an email address to raise this via mail. Which we did so waiting on a response but expect that they will not cover this.

its beginning to look like the Dual transmission clutch is not covered for wear only up to 20,000 distance.

Maybe we should have known this in buying the car with the 5 year warranty we understood at the time that the engine and auto box was fully covered.

i will let you know on the feedback from Hyundai . Appreciate all the replies on this matter.

• Advertisement

Not a dealer issue -Guidance comes from the distributor.

Dealers do seem to differ greatly when it comes to this type of stuff. The warranty work labour rates are sh1t by all accounts so it seems alot of dealers would rather be doing anything else.

Treating the clutch pack in such a gearbox the same as a manual car warranty wise is very sharp practice considering the gear change is an entirely controlled system and cannot really be driver error.

Kinda what boils one is that the clutch is controlled mainly by the car system. You would expect that the wear would be limited. And if there was some factor via user that was riding the DCT that the system would try to prevent it as it mainly controls it.

Ive had a look at it and apparently this is a well known issue - I think there may be a class action in the US about it.

Seems like there was a recall in the US for reprogramming the DCT box.

If it was me it would be solicitors letter to the manufacturer.

Exactly - when I ran a service department I always took in warranty work - it was always guaranteed payment within 30 days!!!!!

The dual clutch thing does seem a bit cheeky though as the ECU controls the gear change - not the customers fault if the parameters of the ECU made the clutch pack wear out prematurely.

DCT is a **** setup - I dont think theres one vehicle out there with DCT that doesnt give problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have seen many examples where somebody in an office dealing with warranty for a manufacturer reads for example the word clutch, sees that clutch is a word on the exclusions list and so says that the clutch is excluded without ever having a single clue what a clutch is. Without having a clue why an auto box should handled differently to a manual box.

That may not be the case here, but it could be as simple as that. There are many, many people without technical experience doing admin roles for various manufacturers.

In this scenario I would probably go straight to a solictors letter, pointing out very clearly that the clutch in an auto box is not wearable in the accepted sense of the word. At the very least it will then be reviewed by somebody with a bit of cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Torcaill

Sales of Goods Act (fit for purpose) supersedes the Warranty.

Know your Rights - Consumers’ Association of Ireland (thecai.ie) - check it out.

Hyundai on there warranty should point this out to the customer:

that Automatic DCT boxes uses clutch components which are not covered under warranty greater than 20K

if this was pointed out customers would ask more questions and do some research before buying the car. I know we would have.

worried now this goes again have another big bill to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Does the new model of hybrid tucson uses the similar gear box with dual clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mk7r

A dct transmission uses a clutch system very much like a manual (except there are two of them) whenever you stop and take off you wear the clutches just as you do in a manual, so depending on your driving its very possible to burn out the clutches on any dct system. It's not akin to the torque converter style auto where there are no clutches.

Ah yes missed that post by 2 minutes!

In any case, that's a fairly ridiculous admission from Hyundai regarding a clutch in an auto-gearbox. Unless the car was abused, which should be easy to tell since it will almost certainly log the driving profile (even by proxy via fuel consumption) over a long period, they should be covering it.

@Adelaidedb What milage is on it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They didn’t buy the car in this country for a start, and while usually the warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, those consumer rights wouldn’t usually cover a fault on a 5 year old car, (had it been bought in ROI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Quoting the consumer rights act also sorta misses the point of the thread, which is that the manufacturer is saying that the fault isn't warrantable to begin with.

For the consumer to have protections there first needs to be a defect to be protected from, and in this case they are saying there isn't, that the clutch is just worn, wear and tear.

Which I don't agree with, but thats the starting point.

There is 81000 miles. Mainly motorway miles not country driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Luna84

That's high enough sure no wonder it's worn. Clutches don't last forever.

Just to add I don't agree with Hyundai though but when you said it was over 20k I assumed it was over by 10k at most.

OK, that kind of blurs the lines in my view to be honest. I think it should be covered, but it is also getting into relatively higher milage now.

Was it ever used for towing? Was it always serviced by Hyundai in Ireland?

Finally we have got a response from Hyundai Ireland via email. I’m hoping that they will come to some sort of satisfactory conclusion to the issue. Which we will see over the coming days

Also the Partner does not abuse the car in any way while driving. There actually a nice car otherwise comfortable and pleasure to drive, Her plan was to keep it approx 10 years and bite the bullet again with Hyundai at that time.

Now keeping it for that duration will obviously have another visit to the dealership in relation to fixing the same issue again.

Definitely not for towing. The car has a full service history with Hyundai. I think the washer jets stopped working which was replaced under warranty. That was only the ever problem and to be honest we didn’t expect any serous problems with the car. Obviously problems occur with any age car even new ones. But inside the warranty window expect the dealership to cover defects that are not related to user wear and tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Except the sale was in NI and they are seeking redress in Ireland.

What was the response?

Id be interested to hear what they have to say about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

People do need to rethink the term auto with gear boxes. A true auto box you can use the creep of the torque converter but with a dct or dsg you are effectively slipping the clutch so you need a different driving technique in traffic.

TLDR

Do not use the "creep" style of driving with a dual clutch system it will wear the clutches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement