Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Shock

• 09-01-2024 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I live in Social Housing. A few years back an air to water heating system was installed to replace the storage rads. Since then has been problems with water shock/hammer. I have had various visits from the installers and in-house maintenance have tried to sort it out. The cold water valve has been changed and the setting of the pressure release system (i think thats what its called) has been adjusted. But none of these have been effective. I seems to be Ok for a while then comes back. The hot press is only 2 metres from the bedroom and the bang wakes me up during the night. I have been told I have to live with this. What is more concerning for me? Will the repeated banging and vibration eventually cause a joint to pop and flood the house. Any opinions on this would be most welcome, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brandyrock

Hi Daithi. This I presume is the same thing but not like your caption. On one of the house visits the plumber said that he had adjusted this I presume to the last. Sorry for late reply. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

no thats a magnetic cleaner/ filter it collects any metal particles that enter the system from the boiler post more photos around the cylinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

Im not sure how what being described as water hammer is connected to an A2W heating system? what is filling that water is being used that is causing water to turn on/off when you are sleeping? something must be in use, but the A2W system should be a closed system and seperate. When specifically is the water hammer occuring (aside from hours you are in bed).

It seems strange that no one who visited saw fit to install an expansion vessel as mentioned above, it may be that this could be fitted on the cold water supply to the HW cylinder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭hydrus21

The inlet valve in dishwashers and w/machines can cause hammer. Agree that a shock arrestor should have been fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 brandyrock

Thank you. The tank has been shoe horned into the hot press. There are just the 2pipes going into the tank one in middle and other at bottom. there is nothing around the back. No sign if anything elsewhere that might resemble an arrestor. Apart from the banging is there a chance that repeated banging and vibration will eventually cause a joint or union to open and cause a flood.

Advertisement