Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Gardai cannot police beside Capitals main street, is it third world?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think foot patrols of "coppers on the beat" is gone out of fashion a while.

It's considered an inefficient waste of resources.

I think they spend their time going after the real criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

A lot of time is spent focused on Grafton Street and Temple Bar, so O'Connell Street lacks big name shops and more prestigious businesses than fast food. That's more of a city planning failure, but can be rectified. Anyway, it's not so bad. Piccadilly Circus in London is maligned for it's money laundering American 'candy' shops and their fast food, but it's still a pleasant place to walk through - like many would find O'Connell Street to be.

When it comes to drug addiction and Garda coverage, that can only be fixed through government policy and funding. It isn't just an O'Connell Street or Dublin specific issue. If we want to fix this, we need to spend money. Austerity is a scam anyway.

Another reason things appear to be getting worse in Dublin is the economic crisis we seem to have been having for four years straight now. Poverty is directly linked with an uptick in anti-social behaviour and crime.

Basically, the problems that are being faced aren't unique to Europe, and aren't 'third-world' (which is an outdated term, can we move on from it?) These are all only temporary things that can be fixed, it just requires the will to do it and electing people to government who will not screw us over (although that is a difficult task.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is, again, a lazy sticking plaster fix.

Things kick off, react with public relations launch of Operation Insert Name Here, boost patrols, have it all over social media.

Keep this going for a few weeks, maybe a month then withdraw patrols quietly.

Rinse and repeat.

Also I think we need to stop comparing cities that are as bad or worse than us, this leads to an Ah Shur Tis Grand lazy attitude which leads to even more half arsed sticking plaster fixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I didnt say they didnt.

Mixed tenure includes social housing. Read the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,653 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I agree with this. It's all optics.

And it's not that they withdraw the patrols and sit in the station drinking tea - those patrols that were like a rash all over the city centre before Christmas were all from outlying suburbs of Dublin and the neighbouring counties - policing in those divisions must have been non-existent for the month of December, but they got away with it.

It's like playing the tile game, and until the Garda numbers are increased substantially (which doesn't look like it's happening any time soon), they will continue to shuffle the numbers around like a three-card trick and hope that no-one notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Exactly, these patrols should be year round and not for a particular period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭yagan

The long term plan is to pen in Dublin with a big wall on the city side of the M50. We'll even call it the 33rd county, County Jackeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

They're a waste of resources. I don't think they even prevent crime. Still nice to see though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

we need more prison space and more gards,the gards are doing their job,they are arresting the scrotes thats how they rack up so many previous,the judges are letting them off with a slap and told not to do it again because there is no place to put them...put the scrotes on a chain gang seeing as theres no prison space,bucket of bleach and water and get them to scrub the likes of this lane clean...and keep up this kind of pressure on our tracksuited fcukwit fraternity and maybe they'll get the message

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

International studies show a small percentage of the population commit approximately 75% of the crime. In September 2023 there were 4,612 in prison in Ireland in the entire state- including all murderers, organised crime gangs, rapists, etc.

That represents less than 1% of the population.

As other posters have said there are people walking around with hundreds of convictions, on legal aid, medical cards, council house, free money, free travel, free everything and the bonus at Christmas.

Only by clamping down on these people, sending them to prison, not giving suspended sentences, revoking bail for offences committed on bail, reviewing their social welfare entitlements will the situation around perceived lawlessness and petty crime/drug dealing/street crime be improved.

But the political will isn't there even though I believe there would be public support for such measures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No respect for the legal process anymore. Was in a court recently and not one of those called up were present!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Less than 1%

Well it's virtually all men. So exclude women and children and less than 1 in 500 adult men are currently in prison, with larger percentages in certain subgroups.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Another laneway got closed off today, this time near Parnell Street.

A local publican spend €20,000 erecting 1.8m high gates blocking off the lane. He said DCC told him he could do this if he got written permission from everyone who had right of way (I'm unclear what exactly this means and the article doesn't clarify, I assume it means local businesses on the street?).

The article says he sent in all the paperwork months ago and heard nothing since so he went ahead with the gates.

Now there's a complaint in for unauthorised lane closure.

Closing off lanes indicates a failure on the part of the powers that be to deal with bottom-feeder bollixing around.

Might as well close off every side street and lane - just move the problem around instead of tackling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sure, but it's hard to be altruistic when it's your doorstep they're (literally) shítting on.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Advertisement