Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you are a gen xer living in South Dublin life is pretty good and matches any European average i'd guess , low crime, "good schools" etc

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Because he lived here for 6 years.

I am fine with reading his posts. Let's not try and bully him off the thread. I value all opinions if only to understand mindsets and get different viewpoints.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Different opinions and mindsets is one thing. Coming in just to post insults at the stupid Irish is another.

There is plenty wrong in society that can be pointed out. There's no need to insult the entire population when doing it.

I can take an insult. Clearly some anger there. But I still find the posts insightful from a 3rd party perspective. I imagine he won't be posting long.

Because you can point out problems in society without insulting all Irish people.

I have also lived in other countries, some had their issues, I never hated on the 'ethnic population ' as you put it so nicely, because of those issues. And never did I treat an entire population as one single entity

• Advertisement

We could afford a space after a full stop too.

Unintelligent Irish, too lazy to walk to a bus stop, too stupid to build a Metro, food is all copied from USA? Etc etc

There is nothing useful in those insults. An outsider view on Ireland and any issues they see or how they think they can be improved? Great, more then welcome.

No need for personal insults treating all Irish people as one. I wouldn't agree with it for any nationality.

Ok your mind is made up. I am able to parse for nuggets and I don't get insulted with the generalisations (this is Boards!). My point is he should not be bullied off the thread. Nobody should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Gary_dunne

It's one thing not liking Dublin as one poster continues to explain why they're afraid of the place. While I don't agree with them and think they're very over the top with the level of fear they have of our capital city they're more than entitled to their opinion.

As is the Dutch poster who spent many years working here. However they're not only discussing the thread subject of Dublin being safe or not they posted a tirade of hate towards (in his words) the "Ethnic Irish" over language, quality of food, perceived laziness, level of intelligence, would happily let an Irish tourist drown in a canal in the Netherlands, to name a few. That is where their post becomes an issue. It's off topic and unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

I live in the sticks but lived in Dublin for years at one stage for work. I even rented in Northside city centre at one stage. It was grim at times but as long as I kept to busy streets etc it was okay. When I first lived there it was a city on the rise. Great buzz around being in town or out to eat etc.

It’s absolutely not the same now. I think as an occasional visitor it’s almost a shock each time I go there because it seems to have declined a bit further.

Now before I have the Dubs out in force to tell me it’s fine. The same thing is happening in Cork, Limerick and many other urban areas. Population in Dublin is bigger and so problem is more glaringly obvious. Many of us non Dubs occasionally go to Dublin for matches and events etc and we want the capital to be a nice place.

Anyone who is friendly with guards will of heard the same stories about how much of a waste of time it is arresting scumbags. Scumbags don’t care about being arrested and are only laughing at the guards when the judge lets them off again so they can continue doing what they want.

There has to be consequences to acting like a thug. However, right now it’s the wider society suffering the consequences and not the scumbags themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭yagan

Thars concise and fair assessment I can chime with. There is way too much tolerance of lifestyle crime on a national level, dublin city centre being the most overt concentrated manifestation of it.

Highlighting this does not make anyone a dublin hater, and citing that there's nice dublin suburbs adds nothing; i'd call that a parochial reaction whereby dublin is a sprawl of connected towns and not a city with a cosmopolitan culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

This thread has been people complaining about Dublin with TM and JR vociferously defending the place. Then some Dutch guy slags Ireland and everyone jumps on his back. Gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

They do make some valid points, when someone here can’t park right next to the door of a supermarket or shopping centre they say there’s no parking, and we have so much money from corporation tax that we don’t know what to do with it, yet still don’t have an efficient public transport system, the best they could come up with is to make more cycle lanes and close off traffic to the city centre.

It’s either generalisation of Irish or personal insults, it can’t be both at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Only the upper class can afford a home in South Dublin, including those who inherited those homes.

And South Dublin also has crime. For example in Clondalkin. WE used to have a company bus from Cherrywood business park to Shankill DART station but it was discontinued due to high crime in Shankill.

I bet those other countries were capable of building a metro, unlike the Irish.

Yet all of those points are true. Most Irish can only speak a heavy dialect of English, not even standard English, let alone the Irish language and much less any other foreign language. That is not very smart now is it?

The bus stops are in fact way too close together which makes the bus often slower than biking. I used to bike the route of the 29a bus (it has nowadays changed numbers), and the entire way I'd be overtaken by the bus, then overtake the bus at a bus stop, etc. I would arrive just as quickly as the bus and I'm not a particularly fast biker. A bus should definitely be faster than a bike on the same route, but it stops at every corner.

Food is usually copied from either the USA or, worse, the UK. Ireland doesn't have a good own cuisine at least not in restaurants. Even in the Netherlands, also not famous for a very good native cuisine, we have traditional foods that we can buy everywhere.

I actually agree with his observation about Irish. I think I had one teacher in the entirety of my schooling who was fluent.

You'd think we'd make more use of immigrants to promote modern European languages that would enhance options for individuals and the nation.

I don't believe in the language=nation slock.

Do you think those Irish junkies around Eden Quay would fish out one of their own if they'd fall into the liffey?

The bike paths are a positive development, but it's too little, too late. Try biking on Dorset street and you'll fear for your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

oh yeah you dont want to live in West Dublin , I mean if I was offered a 5 bed room house in West Dublin with a swimming pool and Tennis court for free but on condition you had to do everything in the area it would be a bad deal because erm you would have to live there, you only get one life lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I don't think that anyone should happily watch on if someone fell into a canal/river and was drowning no matter what substance they have taken.

Then you have more faith in the Irish junkies than most

As for the languages thing

Lack of education in the national language is a sign of a very bad education system. Mind you Irish are not the only people struggling with this. For example Belarusian language has a similar endangered status to Irish (in favour of Russian). Same for Maltese language in Malta (in favour of English, Italian etc.). But nowhere is the situation as terrible as in Ireland with vast parts of the country being uneducated in the native Irish language at all.

Low education level, in turn, leads to crime and all other sorts of societal problems. Because if they cannot even read and write fluently in the native national language, then what can they do? Surely they're probably also not stars at maths and other things.

And in no place in Ireland is the Irish language education level as bad as it is in Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What colossal horseshit.

There are personal insults. Stupid Irish, unintelligent Irish, lazy Irish, only Irish are criminals etc etc.

Pointing out issues with infrastructure or other societal woes is grand, they're not insults.

There is a reason why there is no good infrastructure such as a metro though. And it's not for lack of money. We can all understand why some sub saharan African countries don't have a metro, but Dublin? Come on.

I'm not sure your superior intellect understands the history of the country at all.

English has been the first and most widely spoken language here for centuries. Not only were the more educated likely to speak English, and the poor uneducated likely to speak Irish. The teaching of the language was actually outlawed.

Now tbh, I'm not a fan of sweeping discriminatory remarks about entire nationalities, no matter who that nationality is. So won't be replying to nonsense.

Pisa scores in maths and science has Ireland highly ranked.

Non speakers teaching a language by rote is just bad policy. It's like someone with no science training teaching physics by rote from a book. Kids would be better off learning the subject off YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

a few weeks ago we had a french teacher who was with their students attacked and stabbed, now another foreign student attacked and a rope put around his neck, also the guy who attacked the french teacher murdered his partner…

is cork the new dublin? are people scared to go out in cork too?

Advertisement