Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re hedge planting

• 09-01-2024 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have to plant hedge for acres scheme.has anyone successfully planted a hedge using spike.ground stony and could be next to impossible with spade.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

If the ground is very stony it might not be suitable for planting in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Who2

A spike works grand. I use a buck rake tine and have no hassle with planting. I planted a hedge that ran along a lane a good few years ago that needed to be done in a hurry for a reps inspection. Loads of people told me it wouldn’t grow as there was as many going into the shale of the lane as there was going into the sod but it’s turned into a fine hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purple puffin

@Who2 what did you plant and have you any tips for success? I'm afraid of putting in all the work to plant something that won't survive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Who2

That was for white thorn with an odd beech in between. I have done a lot using this method with good success. I’d be fairly lazy in my approach as in I wouldn’t be covering them with tram I don’t really weed them and the only thing I do is keep them cut low for the first few years to keep them thickened out.

I planted a beech hedge last year and I will be honest and admit I dug and mixed compost planted , weeded , sprayed and kept mulch around the bottoms but that’s around my house so I wanted to keep it as well as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 j8100

Does anyone know what I could spray on a new sown hedge of whitethorn and blackthorn to stop hares eating at the bark on the plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

A spike will work if the hedge is young (1-2 ft) where the roots can fit down - have done this with success. However I planted 4ft hedges this winter and had to dig for them as roots were too established

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Paint emulsion on the lower half of the main stem

Advertisement