Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2024 Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's a most enjoyable game to watch from the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Eibhir

9 lives!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Black card and a penalty - wrong call.

But it is saved, awful effort indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

conlon has it in him to switch off and leave the centre open at times . But sure that’s the pull and draw of an offensive 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,416 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Brutal penalty

worst peno I’ve seen in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very poor penalty by Eoin Cody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Awful peno, can't hit it into the ground on that pitch.

Clare leaving a lot of apace in front of their goal for some reason.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

KIlkenny getting away with filth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm convinced hurling referees haven't a clue of the rules of the game....

Shocking free for Kilkenny, defender was absolutely fouled coming out.

That's the game. Fair play Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

One of the worst penalty’s ever taken

Since when is lying on the ball not a foul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭endainoz

Delighted, they shouldn't have been given it anyway

Defender was fouled - Twice — before he landed on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Clare won't make it out of munster

• Advertisement

Dont know why Kilkenny went for a point with the last free. But the biggest question is how Kilkenny were even still in the game.

Better team won and by what looked like a lot more than 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

great game. Fair play to Clare. 9/10 you’d get away with hitting the ball into the ground like that in summer hurling.

A deserved win for Clare, Kilkenny can have no complaints, beaten by the better team.

Well done the Banner, deserved winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Kilkenny needed that test and after the Limerick game, they have a lot to work on and luckily time to work on it.

Clare deserved it and it'll give them a boost for Limerick, should be a cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Terrible penalty by Cody, justice was done in the end was never a penalty.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jarlath Burns is a breath of fresh air.

It's a bit worrying that some players are not pushing on. You could see TJs absence all over the place, ball winning, free and penalty taking, leadership.

To Kilkenny's credit they kept going, as is in their make up.

Clare have a dander for goals now. Long overdue. O’Donnell will add to that - beat his man to ball comfortably at times tonight on his first game of the year - his short hurling was off due lack of games. That will come.
    Whoever beats Clare will win the all Ireland (I’m joking, relax. Relax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The clare captain was extremely dour in his acceptance speech … could have made some bit of an effort to appear happy for the supporters

• Advertisement

Enda Rowland did the same for us last Sunday. It's mad considering the ground has never been heavier!

There are a lot of quiet teams out of the limelight. I know they've been up and down, but Cork are due a breakout year. If someone told me Cork would go 19 years without a hurling all ireland I'd have them committed!

The real 'we're focused on the championship' acceptance speech! Suppose when you've Limerick in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Clare deserved winners. KK pulled a few dirty strokes there. Clare needed that after losing the last 2 SF to KK and a trophy will always boost confidence. Still don't see anything other than the 5 in a row unfortunately, but Clare the best placed to topple them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Wouldn't agree. Am a hurling man foremost, but last weeks league final was the best inter county GAA game so far this year.

This was a decent game of hurling, no more. For me the main difference between the teams is that Clare have Munster championship in 2 weeks and Kilkenny have no jeopardy for quite a while and have left themselves a bit more to do.

Last weeks final was far superior entertainment in my view.

Wasn't talking about league finals. Was talking about the sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Outside a disastrous period early in the second half for Kilkenny, I don't think there was much between the teams. Goals win games of course but looking at chances created and number of scores always gives an insight into how the game went, and it was 21 scores to 19 to Kilkenny, 34 scoring chances to Kilkenny to Clare's 30.

Of course Clare got the goals and deserved the win but I don't think there was any gulf between the teams when you consider that if Kilkenny had scored a few more of those very poor wides from play and frees in the first half they could have won it.

If the difference had been Eoin Cody scoring from the penalty though that would have been a robbery, I couldn't see why it was given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Fair enough. Would agree with that although I think the gap is narrowing.

No denying the influence of football tactics in hurling. It's becoming more and more prevalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Agree with all of that, KK missed so many easy chances and didn’t get the break of the ball tonight but that happens. Couldn’t see what the penalty was for at all and Johnny Murphy baffled me at times. Congratulations to Clare though, they’re building a nice panel there with a few experienced big players to come back, could be a big year for them.

Ya but the stats don't show the advantage Clare had built up. They really should have been able to just keep tacking on the few extra scores to win comfortable but this Clare team seem to have a problem closing games out.

I still can't see what Kilkenny suddenly started to do that made Clare have to sweat in the end.

Kilkenny were the better team in the first half especially early on but missed so many easy chances, Clare got better as the game went on and they had the kk full back line in ribbons. On the other hand kk offered very little on the inside Line with poor performances from Drennan & Hogan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

The Kilkenny fullback line were guilty of leaving space behind which lead to the goals, but individually I don't think they were bad, and is often the case for Kilkenny fullback lines were left exposed a lot, suggesting problems in the halfback line.

I agree about the full forward line although Cody got 1-1 from play and Keoghan got 4 points from play. However Kilkenny had a nice spread of scorers from out the field to make up for this, 11 different scorers overall to Clares 7 and Kilkenny got just 4 of the scores from frees to Clare's 9

• Advertisement

guys like d og Cusack have expressed concerns about him and his interest in and what he might do with hurling. In any case that Larry guy the former uachtarán was a bit like ‘death warmed up’…….!

Larry 'what's his name' as people called him for mixing up names. He did my head in. Weak in every way. Did he get it as the first outside Ireland I wonder.

it was a bizarre selection alright. He was obviously buttering up/brown nosing the right people in congress over the years…….burns has a way better presence etc so far anyway……he better keep his hands off hurling though 🤣

I like Burns but football will be front and centre of his presidency. Wait for the endless promotion of the tailtean cup while the Joe Mc, Christy Ring get ignored.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The president really doesn't control much. If the GAA was really run by a short term elected representative it wouldn't be the top level association that it is. People like the director general are the real power.

People my age probably have their perception of the job shaped by the amazing outlier that was Sean Kelly but most come and go with nothing really to show for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement