Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat on Books from UK

• 10-01-2024 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Im on for buying two books from a shop in Aberdeen in Scotland costing 31 Euro online .

Will i be charged VAT on these before i get them delievered, i have put a gift message to myself on it . I ordered socks before from a crowd in England and i couldnt get them until i paid some VAT charges which made them too expensive, will it be the same for books...??

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

No, books are VAT free.

I buy a lot of books from the UK, usually ship through Addresspal as well, as often the shipping is free within the UK, so works out cheaper just to pay the addresspal fee (€6.50).

Added bonus is Addresspal will make sure the customs declarations are done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Thanks for that..why would you use Adresspal rather than your home adress?

Usually UK sellers will post within the UK for free, so it actually works out cheaper than posting to Ireland.

And even if it is a Euro or two dearer, it's worth it for the reassurance that the customs paper work will be done correctly by Addresspal, so no issues with customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can you tell that to the customs lads who sent me a bill for a secondhand book I bought there before Christmas?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I think you need to query that with them.

I have never paid VAT on books, either new or secondhand. My daughter collects hardbacks and 1st editions, so often bought second hand, (and delivered via Addresspal as described above) but never charged VAT.

From Citizens Information:

0% (Zero) VAT rating includes all exports, tea, coffee, milk, bread, books, children’s clothes and shoes, vegetable seeds and fruit trees, fertilisers, large animal feed, oral medicine for humans and animals, disability aids such as wheelchairs, crutches and hearing aids. It was announced in Budget 2023 that the 0% rate would be extended from 1 January 2023 to newspapers (including digital editions), defibrillators, period products and non-oral medicines for Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) and nicotine replacement therapy.

It was announced in Budget 2024 that the rate for ebooks and audio books would be reduced to 0% (from 9%) from 1 January 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I never put anything on it but for someone said to indicate it is a gift and they don’t charge VAT , not sure is this right or wrong but adding VAT like they do would stop you ordering from the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Rules for duty relief on gift consignments

You can receive a gift without payment of Customs Duty and Value-Added Tax (VAT) if:

• the value of the gift (including insurance, freight and postage costs) is €45 or less
    • the gift is correctly declared
    • the gift has been sent from a private individual outside the European Union (EU) to a private individual within the EU
    • the gift is for the personal, or family use, of a private individual in the EU
    • there is no commercial or trade element, that is, the goods have not been paid for by the recipient
    • the gift is of an occasional nature only such as a present for a birthday or anniversary.

A gift received may contain two or more items with a combined value of greater than €45. In such cases relief is given for as many of those items as add up to a value not exceeding €45. For example, if you receive a gift containing three items with a value of €20 each, your relief applies to two of the items only. The value of an individual item cannot be split up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Consumer Issues.

Local charter now applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭AnRothar

The OP is buying the books so the "gift" clause should not apply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement