Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical Multinational Redundancy

• 10-01-2024 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

A friend of mine was working with Meta for just over a year and received roughly 40k redundancy. This seems insanely high to me and I'm wondering if this is a typical amount with multinationals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

One year in there? In what position?

Not typical at all. I'd say you're being spun a bs story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Alkers

Was in voluntary? What salary were they on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

On the face of it that would seem excessive....

But it really would depend on what he did, what his contract included and if this is part of a gardening leave package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

They pay way above the average salary and they’ll pay over the odds to buy out any possible future claims of unfair dismissal.

But 40,000 after just one year is an extraordinary amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I dunno a guy on 100,000 (which isn't that outrageous for Meta) , that's a monthly of about 8,333 gross. If you get 6 weeks plus pay in lieu of notice (8 weeks) that's

Redundancy of 11,538

pay in lieu of notice 16,666 = basic total 28,204 + statutary redundancy and maybe additional gardening leave pay?

it's not that outrageous particularly if they were higher up in Meta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some international businesses, especially those with large operations in the USA tend to use American business standards, even when they don't need to. The risk is that you get fired on short notice, but will be rewarded. This may come as "we will pay you for X months or until you get a job", gardening leave or just a big lump of money.

I know someone on the business side of the music industry Berlin who was given 3 months gardening leave after a year in the job.

Advertisement