Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignorance and the road

• 10-01-2024 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I live on a main road, and need to drive from the carriageway directly into my house. This means that I indicate left in good time, slow down, and turn into my house. There is usually plenty of space for the car behind me to overtake. At least twice a week I get tailgated and then beeped for doing this. WTF?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Courtesy to other drivers is not that common nowadays (if indeed it ever was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭GPoint

This is called idiots on the roads!

As a side note, check your indicators work in the rear. I had an issue once where the whole plate holding bulbs fell of the lamp and so was no light coming through it, and obviously no warning lights because all bulbs were lit just lighting the wrong way :) Was getting beeped at many times and could not understand why, only realised it when failed NCT because of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

While you are doing everything perfectly right would you consider if someone is close behind you try slowing down and putting your harzard lights on before you turn into the driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

I bet your talking turn very slow 🐌 too slow that problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Road position. May be an issue.

Plenty of people just stop in the middle of the lane, instead of placing their wheel on the white line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Hazard lights? What for? Where's the hazard?

OP is just turning left and indicates thusly. Do you use your hazard lights for a turning manoeuvre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Check your indicators are working front and rear and then carry on doing what you are doing. It is not worth getting wound up over this as there are many impatient and incompetent drivers on the road these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

It obviously needs to be added to the rules of the road.

Unless the person following is providing visual evidence of competence to drive, use hazards, a flashing beacon hand signals and a passenger with a loud hailer.

I'm sick of people overtaking in dangerous conditions just because they think the only time to change speed and direction is when the road bends or they arrive.

When I'm going to town today at least five will overtake me as the road drops from eighty to sixty and fifty. I invariably do the speed limits incidentally as I honestly believe that it removes a good popular excuse for anyone who hits me and also shows a respect for the law and gives a moral boost to the poor chap sticking the speed limit signs up. Who wants to spend their life doing a worthless job?

Why break the law and provide insurance companies with a get out when it comes to the no claims?

For a rural farming economy we sure have some real fast go getter types on the roads and fair play to them, they don't seem to mind taking the odd risk to support their hectic lifestyles. I just wish that it didn't involve me studying my mirror and trying to second guess the idiots so much.

The mirror that they never use incidentally as emergency vehicles know only too well in these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can't stand people using their hazard lights for turning. If you indicate left, I know you are turning left. If you indicate right, I know you are turning right. If you turn on your hazards, I haven't a clue what you are at - don't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they are turning left. Why would their wheel be on the center line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Not every driver on the road has the knowledge, experience and observational abilities to interpret the message a little orange light on the corner of the car means.

Look on sticking all of them on as a means of shouting, attention seeking for those that are not aware that there might be a competent driver behind them.

Of course it might simply be a parent on the school run that forgot to use their hazards when blocking half the county from travelling and decided better late than never, even if the school is five miles behind them :-)

i thought the OP was turning right.

If the OP is turning left into their property from a main road, are they coming to a stop in the middle of the carriageway, or are they pullling over to the side of the road.

If they are coming to a stop slap bang in the middle.. i'd probably beep as well.. just to let them know that other traffic is present , and they are being a hazard

So you think they should be beeped every time they turn into their property?

If they are unaware of other road users, and are being a hazard by taking an incorrect road position, then yes, the other drivers are well within their rights to use their audible warning device to alert the driver of the presence of other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I make the same turning off a busy road and will apply breaks for a second when I indicate. My entrance is wide and deep so I get off the road quickly. But I regularly get the horn blared at me. Inattentive drivers!

Taking the right hand turn when coming from the other direction is always interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The slow-to-dead-stop left turn off a main road is the most ignorant manoeuvre on the road.

Just make the turn FFS.

I don't know exactly what the OP is doing, but if you are regularly getting beeped at, by different drivers. Well you have to look at the whats the constant in all the situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Happens to me. Its usually by drivers who are tiny in the underpant department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Speaking of ignorance, I saw a beauty yesterday morning on Leopardstown Avenue, a road that is used to rat run from Leopardstown Road to Brewery Road but is a residential road with quite a number of cars parked on the road. Learner driver under instruction in a driving school car being followed by a "Foxrock tractor", big yoke and an impatient pr*ck driving it. Decides to overtake the learner and there is a parked car on the left about 30 yards ahead, the pr*ck drives alongside the learner and stays there until the learner had to brake to avoid hitting the parked car, a total lack of patience and understanding from the pr*ck and how far did it get him......yep, one car length before he arrived at the backed up traffic at the lights, what an absolute gobsh(te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Whenever I come across a slow driver , eg doing 60 Km in an 80 km speed limit or drivers not behaving to my liking I remain calm because it could be my elderly father or mother or anyone else’s father or mother for that matter and BECAUSE OF THEIR AGE THEY ARE BEING VERY CAUTIOUS /CAREFUL. Us impatient drivers will be one of those people some day hopefully and I think that we would like a dit of consideration and respect

60 in an 80 is fine. But 80 on a motorway is something I encountered the other day. That was just dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

What about 50 in a 100? Happens all the time on the M50 with tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

I'm not regularly getting beeped so the phrase inattentive and entitled w@nkers comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Once they stay in the left lane they don't cause a problem

The twice a week you state in the original post would seem pretty regular to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Yes there are a significant number of inattentive and aggressive drivers on the roads. Well done for spotting that.

An elderly relative of mine (since deceased) always complained about fools on the road, and people beeping her for no reason.

If you sat in the car with her, you would quickly realise why they were beeping.

But, she was blissfully ignorant of what she was doing.. it was always the other drivers that were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

Well said 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have a similar issue. When turning in to my driveway I find that I have to indicate AND give a hand signal to show that I am turning, otherwise I am in danger of being rear ended.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It could be something like this, but there is also an increase in the number of drivers who take offence at having to slightly slow down a bit for any reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The tighter the turn, the more you have to slow to make it safely and in a controlled fashion. A left turn into a driveway is commonly a very tight turn.

I seriously do not want to know how you know this!

Advertisement