Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery Company safe delivery

Options
  • 10-01-2024 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have an item I ordered and is getting delivered by courier, the courier sent me these emails saying that they won't be leaving my delivery safe.

If something happens to my delivery who's responsible?

Post edited by billgibney on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are. Have you perhaps set your default deliver instructions to "leave in save place"? If you are away and are worried about it, have it delivered to a 'parcel shop'

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You have (presumably) bought goods from a retailer. The default position is that its the retailer's responsibility to deliver the goods to you. For this purpose he hires a courier. Note that he, not you, is the courier's customer, and the courier delivers the goods to you on the retailer's behalf. So, if the goods are not delivered, your complaint is against the retailer, who sold the goods to you and is responsible for delivering them. Any argument over whether the courier did what he was hired to do is a matter between the retailer and the courier; it's not your problem.

But, two issues:

First, the retailer will argue that "our responsibility is to deliver the goods to the premises nominated by you. The security of the goods, once at the premises, is something you control, not us, so our responsibility is discharged once the goods arrive". That's not an unreasonable position; you could nominate an address that someone will be present at, or a PO Box or similar; if you choose to have the goods delivered to an address that is unattended and doesn't have a secure parcel locker or similar, shouldn't you carry the associated risk?

The second issue is that "retailer is responsible until goods delivered" is only the default position. That's the way the courts will approach the matter if nothing else has been agreed. But something else might have been agreed; you'd need to look at the precise terms of the contract between you and the retailer, which no doubt are buried somewhere on the retailer's website, and you accepted them probably without really thinking about it when you placed the order. Those terms could say something like "our responsibility is to consign the goods to a courier for delivery to you, and all risk after that point passes to you and, if that bothers you, take out insurance". If, as is often the case, the retailer offers a range of differently-priced delivery options, then it's quite likely that the contract terms will also say that you bear the delivery risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That isn’t delivering something, that’s leaving something…

Delivering: bring and hand over (a letter, parcel, or goods) to the proper recipient or address.

"the products should be delivered on time"

you deliver something to a person.

Leaving:

deposit or entrust to be kept, collected, or attended to.

"she left a note for me on the kitchen table"

you cannot deliver something without having contact with someone at the delivery address.

the courier industry is a race to the bottom, extremely competitive, high prices of fuel, insurance etc….new little drop and run merchants popping up every year. Google search ‘couriers Dublin’ literally dozens and dozens of courier companies in the city…

delivering something and leaving something are not the same. Something ‘left’ isn’t secure… from potential theft, damage/vandalism and from the weather…

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not at all. Post, even personally-addressed post, is habitually delivered without any human contact; they just stick it though the letter box. Everybody refers to that as "delivery" and always has done, so this is a well-established standard usage of the word. Even your own definition says that you can deliver something to an address rather than to a person.

(As far as the origin of the word is concerned, something is "delivered" not when a recipient has control or custody of it, but when the carrier no longer does. You have delivery from prison when prisoners are liberated, delivery of a baby when the mother is no longer bearing it, etc. So, the courier leaves something in a letterbox or on a doorstep and goes on his way; he has delivered that thing. There's nothing inherent in the notion of delivery that involves human-to-human contact.)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Your parcel number is in the second photo, may be an idea to mask it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭billgibney

It's actually getting delivered to a oohpod in jonesborough, it's like a parcel motel thing so it should be delivered ok.

It's something I bought on eBay.co.uk that don't deliver to the south

It's just the general principal I was thinking of.

Advertisement