Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a Site

Options
  • 11-01-2024 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all.

My family moved back to Ireland at Christmas. In an ideal world we would love to build our own place but are not from the area we have moved to. As a result no location connections or knowledge.

Would an estate agent search for a site on our behalf for a fee or is that too much like work for them.

Thanks

L_P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not having local connections may prevent you getting planning permission to build in some counties. An agent can definitely help you find a site but do some research on local planning conditions before you start down this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

hi,

I'm looking at sites and that at the moment as well. So can share a bit of what I've learned. An estate agent might be able to tell you what's available or if there is something that might be coming available. You can hire a land agent who will search for a site for you but we haven't used one or know anyone that's used them so I can't say much about them. one was we've found is taking a drive around the area or local newspapers and see if their are any land owners looking to sell direct without an estate agent.

Caranica is right in that local needs can apply to lots of sites especially in rural areas. What you really need to look at is the zoning for the land in the county development plan. If it's zoned for Settlement Expansion then you should be good to go but if it's local needs then you would need connections to the area and even then it's not guaranteed. (for example a family member was refused permission several time on their family farm and as a results had to buy a house nearby)

Advertisement