Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted robbery by knifepoint

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bigroad

Lucky no one was killed or stabbed.

Hopefully he is caught and given a suspended sentence,that will learn him .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...or maybe hes caught, convicted, then provided with his critical needs such as secure accommodation and adequate professional help, in the hope he doesnt commit such crimes yet again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is there nothing you wont apologise for when it comes to people who commit crimes? You are the type of fellow who stands outside a prison protesting the execution of a murderer who tortured and killed an entire family just for fun. Sometimes if it walks, talks and acts like a scumbag..it IS a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I feel sorry for people working in shops etc nowadays, they have very little protection from these types of crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...theres no apologising going on here, we re clearly on a giant merry-go-round in regards such issues, its clearly obvious our legal system isnt resolving these issues, but in fact exasperating them, this is an us problem....

such situations are created, by us, when we continually fail to meet critical needs such as secure accommodation, adequate health care etc etc, i.e. our current situation in such areas is exactly how such outcomes are created....

...again, we ve know this for decades, so get ready, this is going to keep escalating...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭MakersMark

A lefty is just a normal person who hasn't been mugged yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

You know nothing about the person yet you assume his so called critical needs are not me. This just proves its an ideological position you are taking If he is Irish I would hazard that his critical needs are met and there is something like drug addiction at its core. Why is society responsible for someones critical needs? Things like disability are exceptions that prove the rule.Society is made up of individuals with agency none of which are responsible for anyone else's critical needs outside of their own family. Family being spouse/partner and children. It's funny that the majority of people can look after their critical needs by simply getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭MakersMark

No one starves to death in Ireland.

Hopefully you'll be the next mugging victim (instead of a less enlightened person)…perhaps you can discuss your attackers critical needs with him as he holds a knife to your throat.

He'll drop the knife and you'll both walk away unharmed and in a better place.

That way you can save him, and the world will be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Build more prisons then.

Thats secure accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

More prisons and more people in prisons doesn't reduce crime, neither do length min sentences. If these things did then the USA would be a crime free utopia. Instead its a country with 5% of the world population and 20% of the world's prison population.

What helps reduce crime is education, social services, support services which work to address the causes of criminal behaviour before people get to that point.

Education helps to prevent, but prison is nesessary as its the only way we can categorically stop someone commiting crime in society.

The 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

Crimes in the US are not being commited by people in prison.

Imagine what the crime rate would be in the US if we tipped all those prisoners out into the street.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's much more then education that helps reduce crime.

Prison doesn't stop anyone comitting a crime, its where they go AFTER they commit a crime. But harsh sentences and min long sentences don't put people off committing crimes either. Again the USA is really the perfect example of this failing because it has a fairly harsh prison system and the system is big on handing out lengthy min sentences. It also has really poor or non-existent social services and after prison support services.

What that type of system does do is often ruin people's lives, massively reduce their life opportunity's long term which in turn can make them more likely to revert to crime because they feel they have no other options or its the life they know. This is why support services (which are very lacking in Ireland) are extremely important.

Don't get me wrong, prison does have its place for really awful crimes. A death penalty has no place in a civilised society.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

Wonder is there any chance of a proper description?

He likes machetes and can ride a bike with a balaclava on maybe the circus is in town.

Other than that nothing

No Features, tall, small , fat.

No Accent, local, nordie, Eastern Europe, French.

Combination of both is needed and better rehab services should exist within prisons to help reduce reoffending.

But there is no doubt there would be much more crime on the streets if prisons didnt exist as there would be no strong deterrent to any action.

As bad as crime in the States is, it would be a lot worse if they closed the prisons.

And who will provide all of these 'services'? Would it be the state? This is another ideological position you are putting forward. Obviously if someone is banged up then then the general public is safe from them.And why should rehabilitation be even the most important consideration? You are also not discounting the people who don't commit crime because they know there is the potential for destruction of status, name, punitive financial actions and imprisonment. I and most other people are among their number whether we admit it or not and we don't show up in statistics for obvious reasons.

Even the most ill educated person knows that things like violence and theft are wrong morally. Even if they don't like it, they understand that society has decreed it to be so! So if you commit crime, then a price needs to be extracted from you irrespective of rehabilitation. The bigger problem here is the destruction of in particular the nuclear family and the loss of social cohesion. A mate of mine was banged up for a year and then later another four years in the 80's. He eventually understood that most of the people in the prison with him especially the younger ones were from broken families or there was no family structure. Few if any would go a whole week where there was three meals provided in a day.He saw scores of kids who never experienced a home cooked meal. It was the chipper back then if they were lucky, dominoes now.The state cannot provide this type of structure outside of prison or the army (where my father saw the same thing) And this was due to neglect not economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

If you want to see gaslighting on this subject in action, then look no further then RTE

Here you will find an academic in Law and Criminology from NUI Maynooth claim that research concludes that zero tolerance does not work!

And here is the research he is citing;

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0022427815576576

Now if you read the RTE article it specifically states that the research "concludes" something. But if you read the cited research it states that more research is needed. In other words it hasn't reach a conclusion. That is before you consider the pseudo-scientific and unverifiable nature of the so called research.

Your license fee at work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

If an asylum seeker/refugee commits even one criminal offence it needs to be met with immediate expulsion from the country and never be allowed return regardless of family situation..Govt needs to take an extreme hard line zero tolerance approach to crime for our new arrivals so the message gets through loud and clear..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Maybe you could offer up a room in your home for this poor soul to get back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

What does lower the crime rate is proper sentencing. How many of the criminals before the courts for similar offences have multiple previous convictions? If they’re locked up properly then repeat offences can’t be committed. It’s not rocket science.

So the USA is a crime free utopia based on your logic. Longer sentences solve all apparently 😂🙄

So if they don't pay their tv license you think somebody should be expelled from the country?

I'm not sure you've thought your point through.

Since when is not paying a TV license a criminal offence..

For a long time, but also under the more recent Broadcasting Act 2009, but don't take my word for it...take the words of a judge

In his comments at the outset, the judge said it is a criminal offence to have a TV without a TV licence and the offence on conviction carries a fine and a record of conviction for a crime.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/07/07/people-feeling-hard-done-by-seeing-tv-licence-fee-squandered-and-abused-says-judge/

So, you want somebody expelled from the country for not paying a tv license.

Again, I'm not sure you've thought your point through.

OK Pedantic Sam.. You know that I meant serious crimes such as fraud, burglary, assault, murder etc and not misdemeanors such as not paying a parking fine or TV license..

So yes any serious offence they need to be expelled and citizenship revoked

You said "even one criminal offence", you didn't say serious criminal offence such as murder.

If you meant serious then you should have specifically said so. I find it amusing that when I pointed out the massive flaw in your position you questioned about having no tv license being a criminal offense rather then clarifying your position.

Its clear you are now only changing your position after I drove a big truck through it. 😂

BS I haven't changed my position you're just being pedantic one word being left out is not a change of position by dear boy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A man in his 60s has been arrested in connection to the robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

Why do News and Star keep referring to Arundel Square, isn’t this in City Square?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement