Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash back in shops and supermarkets

Options
  • 12-01-2024 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know what supermarkets offer cash back?

Does a shop have to offer this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've gotten cash back in Dunnes, Tesco and a few pubs years ago. Haven't got cash back since contactless became ubiquitous.

I doubt they have to offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No requirement to offer the service. Some opt to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

From my experience, any contract you sign with a card processor basically says that if you have cash and the customer wants cashback you have to provide. You don't have to offer it to the customer but if a customer requests it...

In the UK you don't have to make a purchase, you can effectively use a shop as an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Utter rubbish.

No retailer is under any obligation whatsoever to offer cashback. It is an OPT IN service for retailers. They literally have to sign a separate cash-back form to have this enabled.

In the UK there do allow cashback without purchase. Again, it is entirely an opt-in for retailers. It is restricted to £50 and it must be a UK debit card.

Advertisement