Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA means test - Spouse income and current rental situation

Options
  • 12-01-2024 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, so need some advice please. Apologies on advance for the long winded post!

So my partner has been unemployed since May 2023, his most recent job lasted around 6 weeks. Previous to this, he was unemployed for around 4 months, & before the 4 month gap, job lasted around 11 months.

I work full time and after tax, come home with around €2900 monthly. No kids. He is not getting any form of income at present. So everything including rent, electric, broadband, bins, petrol, food etc. is coming from my wage,

We're running into debt, the last few months I've maxed out on loans and overdrafts since he lost his job and at a point where I'm borrowing money from my mother.Being paid monthly is a bollocks when rent is paid weekly and trying to budget for 4/5 wks is becoming impossible. Cost of living expenses haven't helped, but when the car died a few months back this really threw the finances down the toilet and since then it is nonstop issues

My partner's health has seriously deteriorated in the past 18 months, which I believe contributed to why he was let go from his most recent job. Ongoing Diabetes-related complications and also recent glandular fever have knocked him sideways both physically (to point where he was in hospital for 2 weeks) and mentally (he worked non stop since the age of 16 (he's 43 now) and up until the last 2 years he never previously had any gaps in employment so it's causing him mental stress).

But look that isn't something which the social welfare would nor should care about.

When he lost his job, we had a quick review of Jobseekers Benefit and noted the part about PRSI contributions. We didn't think he was entitled to JSB because of the gaps in his employment in the last 2-3 years and lack of PRSI contributions in that time.

So next we looked at Jobseekers allowance, but this is what I am concerned about...so there is a means test - grand. They mention the spouses income is taken into account which is fine, I've no issues showing my account statement and pay slips, whatever they need.

But we are renting, and there is no proof of this in my bank statements because the house we live in isn't registered. We pay cash to LL weekly (half my pay is for rent alone). People I've spoken to advised for my partner not to bother applying for JSA and lack of evidence showing the outgoing rent payments may be an issue (Revenue and Social Welfare are connected I believe) .

Can anyone advise if this is correct?

Look I'm aware of the RTB and all that, but honestly I don't want to get my LL into shite with the Revenue as it could create tension and we just cannot afford to move anywhere else. We need to keep onto our place at moment and don't want to do anything which might jeopardize it

If the house isn't an issue, is my wage too much for them to consider him for JSA?

This is not a long term thing of course, he doesn't want to be on any benefits as he never had to use them before, but something (anything) which may ease the financial pressure in the short term would be great as I'm running out of options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's a lot to Digest here.

My first observation is, JSA may not be an option but regardless, he should have applied immediately on becoming unemployed for a host of reasons.

The Harsh reality of your partners situation is, a means test will be required either for JSA, SWA or possibly Disability Allowance, (which can take months).

Illness Benefit may not be an option if your partner doesn't have enough contributions in the applicable year (2022) I believe, but worth checking.

He must be seeking employment as part of JSA eligibility criteria but it seems your partners health situation is an issue.

Your partner may not want to be on any Benefit but the situation is clearly untenable.

My best advice & dependent on support from his GP, is for him to immediately apply for SWA & Disability Allowance at the same time. Both are means tested however & there is no way around this. There's a lot of info required for DA.

Your accommodation situation is very complicated & I can't think of anyway around this, other than him saying he lives rent free, but this will impact the amount he gets, if approved for SWA.

To be Blunt, your situation can't be sustained & without making any judgement, he needs to take some responsibility & ASAP.

I do appreciate the impossible situation regarding your Rent Agreement & Situation, particularly in the current shortage of Accommodation Generally, but ultimately it's you & your partner that are struggling, not your landlord.

Your partner needs to act and fast.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just in relation to the housing situation. I was living in an old farmhouse as I was stuck finding a place that would accept my dog. Same situation paid cash for my rent. LL not registered. Anyway when the dog passed away I moved into a flat where everything is above board. I get a very small contribution towards my rent from HAP on my current income, but my reason for moving was to safeguard against a change in circumstances. Basically if my circumstances change, so will my rent. My best advice to you is to look into finding accommodation elsewhere where all is above board. You pose a very real risk of becoming homeless if your current situation continues. Best of luck.

Advertisement