Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIAB any point for solicitor ?

• 12-01-2024 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Regarding the new rules around Personal Injury claims, is there any point in employing a solicitor to fill out the online forms?

I am opening a claim and grappling with the idea of filling out the forms myself or asking a solicitor to do the work. Looking at the PIAB application system it seems fairly straightforward, the only thing I am not sure about is I should put down the insurance company of the name of the person I am taking a claim against, it's really only the insurance company details that I have anyhow.

My claim is based on a rear car impact and ongoing medical issues that are being handled by my consultant. I asked him about the medical report but he said I should get my solicitor to contact him so he could fill out the report, thus is it important to get a solicitor or just fill out the forms myself? I understand the rules have changed now and have read some people saying in older threads that it's just as easy to do the application yourself instead of wasting money on solicitors, especially the ambulance-chasing ones.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MikeCairo78

No rules have changed - award limits have changed(in a downward direction)

If motor claim have you already established that the third party has accepted liability(not that they should but that they have, two completely different things)

You need to have the details of the third party - their Insurers will furnish you the same if you are in dialogue with them. You claim against the third party - their Insurers represent them, you dont claim from the Insurers - so if you only have the Insurance company name with no other information you will be stuck.

If you have a consultant you must have ongoing issue - I would strongly suggest that you refer to a solicitor - let them let you know what their charge would be and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

No need for a solicitor, it's a very simple process.

I went through the PIAB process recently, and I didn't bother with a solicitor. There are no legal arguments involved in the PIAB process - you submit your initial medical report, you maybe visit an independent medical professional and any award is based on the details of those medical reports.

The GP I was dealing with tried to insist that it had to be done via a solicitor but I knew that that wasn't the case - they charged E350 for the medical report rather than the 100-150 it would have cost for a normal assessment, told me that it costs more because "it's medical-legal".

Advertisement