Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Climote Gas Timer - What the best smart internet option ?

Options
  • 12-01-2024 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Climote have gone bankrupt and not answering their phones.

I liked the product but it SIM based and had a nominal yearly fee which was OK.

Time to move on ...

What are the best ones on the market? I have two zones (imersion and heating)

Amazon prime purchase if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

My climote is still working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

For now.

Looks like SIM version is dead but WiFi model still working. Once liquidation is complete I expect it app to go dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Mine is SIM and they were paying some one for that. As soon as those contracts go for renewal the web interface won't communicate with the drive I would imagine

So anyone got a suggestion for a good smart gas timer ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Eph Ember is a good one. Works with Google Home etc. Great Irish tech and customer support

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just some of the smart home stuff like cameras though. They won't be discontinuing their thermostat

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SherryG

Hi , my climote is still working (26-jan-24), remotely and on wifi. But has come up with a subscription expiring message just today. I see a vague update on their website from December... https://www.climote.ie/news/climote-update

..... "This resulted in climote running into trading difficulty in October 2023 and seeking new investment to support the restructuring of the business going forward. The assets of climote have now been bought with new investment, with the aim of continuing to support over 100,000 households who rely on climote every day to manage their home heating systems.

We are seeking our customers' support to make this work. We believe that our new investment will help us create new products similar to our new hot water tank immersion controller and an energy saving support and advice service to help our customers connect and manage their energy and carbon footprint - both today and in the future."

Not sure what "customers' support" means, give us some better info to go on and we might renew.

I don't plan to renew for 30 Euros per year until I see something which indicates it will continue to work / trade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You'll find all the latest info here if you're planning to switch to another heating controler. Give the last few pages a read, they've been expecting the Climote folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mk1976

Hi

I was wondering how you got on with climote, my parents subscription has just expired and I have no wifi as its a holiday home so have no other option atm. Was wondering dif you renew or contact climote?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭User567363

I try avoid things that require internet as i am am into computer security

I bought a timmer/stat for about e50 of amazon and set it to keep the house at 17c when normally empty and 20c when normally occupied (and an hour before)

Place is so much warmer and i am actully finding it lighter on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I didn't renew my climote subscription but it's still working with my Alexa so I use that.

but you can simply send the text commands to your climote also

climote SMS | Climote

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

been using a Nest for the guts of 8 years or so and it's brilliant. (we have a 2 zone system, heating & water). I believe the newer Nest's allow additional zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

With the risks associated with Climote what is the easiest option to move to. Hive? Nest? Basically Is it possible for an amateur like me to remove the Climate system and fit a replacement system or do I need to get an installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you are handy enough with a small bit of wiring, you could install the Nest yourself.. I installed my own. The Heatlink is the box that goes next to your boiler and physically replaces your old controller (mine was an old analog wheel type controller), and it just needs to be wired in.

Then the stat itself can be mounted anywhere (or in place of an existing stat).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeeBill

I paid it, as its great and the money the raise will keep it going I think? but what happens if it stops working wouldnt have a clue, my old timer is gone from the system?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I thought that I read something in the Indo today about both Hub and Climote being in trouble.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Climote may be up and running again

I was contacted recently asking if I wanted to renew my subscription. Some company bought them out ?

Its a superb product but I only boost these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

God I had to have a think there ....

Modulate demodulate .... Crackling noise of a modem on a 14.4 kB connection LOL

Sounded like a fried rasher

How did you know you were addicted to the internet in the 90s?

You itemised phone bill arrived in a box LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

For anyone interested, the Ideal boiler controls Halo offer modulation. Not sure how nice an interface it is. They claim it offers a 2% savings if you already have weather compensation installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Luckylow10

I’ve got a fault showing on my Climote this morning. I phoned them and they said it’s end of life as it’s 10 years old and tried to sell me a new one for €199.

I refused as I wanted to have a think and I am in the process of moving house.

Then I Google it and found out they have gone bust!

absolute chancers trying to sell me a new one!

anyhow, is it relatively simple to replace a 3 zone Climote with another smart controller? Or perhaps a standard control unit?

They contacted me re renewal of my sub after they went bust ... Two + months or something later

They must be operating if they answered the phone to you.

Great SIM based Irish run company. Shame they ran into difficulty ...

Advantage of getting the same again is you can easily copy the wiring

Adverts is your only man

https://touch.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_Climote/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Luckylow10

I was half thinking did they deliberately decommission/ send the fault to my Climote in order to get me to buy a new one? She said they only have a life of 10 years which is first I heard of it. It still is working BTW.

even if I do buy a new one what’s to say that stays working.

I can’t find any info on whether they have been bought out.

I think I’ll play it safe a move to a different device..

Advertisement