Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭pureza

BTW,the wind direction here in South Wicklow all day has been south southwest

It's currently swung southeast at 10 to 15kmh

A northerly cold spell.... 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Indeed had a south easterly here all day and it was absolutely bitter. Haven’t felt a southerly wind that cold before

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

-4 degrees at 7pm East Kerry, north west cork region

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

-4C at 8pm

As I said earlier how low will it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Quite a heavy shower here in North Clare. It’s actually heavier than the rainfall radar would suggest. I’m not sure when the clearance is expected, but if temperatures fall soon it’ll be an interesting morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

2.5c in Tullamore and just been raining but feels absolutely bitter cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

The sky has cleared after that Shower. The ground looks pretty wet, so I’d imagine if we get pretty icy fairly soon. Looks like the rain was just on the back end of that small front that moved south words down through mayo and Galway through the day. it seems to be really breaking up as it’s going through South Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

-5 now in Moore Park and in Millstreet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes and confirmed on Met Eireann also. If the wind remains light it could go as low as maybe -8. Amazing how County Cork is way below the rest of the country tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The mild sector that moved in last evening prevented temps from dropping as low as those recorded in Cork overnight as the south managed to retain a sliver of the colder airmass throughout. Again today, a less cold airmass sat over much of the rest of the country. Only over the next few hours will you see temperatures begin to dip much lower countrywide as the mild sector is fully replaced by a polar airmass. Some very low temps will be recorded in inland Leinster and Ulster tonight and lasting through late morning. Some spots will have ice days tomorrow.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

It's bone dry down here Wolfie so it's actually OK to get around. Anywhere that has had showers today could turn lethal though once the cold migrates northward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭pureza

The city isn't quite as dramatic

-0.8c at Ringaskiddy

-2.7c at CUH ,a bit further inland

Watergrass Hill only -0.4c

Source Davis weatherlink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Could be locally down to -6c for me Thursday morning possibly lower

Clare (410ft asl)

Winds are slowly shifting toward NNE which will change the trajectory of current shower activity. You can spot the shift over Ulster

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Murt2024

Meh, this weather is nothing. Think the coldest week I endured was -35. I had to drive to work as well with the brakes locking. Look fair play to the councils keeping it going but about time we had all year weather tires on our cars. This is absolutely nothing.

Clare (410ft asl)

You're right. Letterkenny in January is nothing like Vladivostok.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Could be -35c in Moore Park tomorrow at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

I have really enjoyed this weather, I can’t remember the last time I’ve done more hiking in January. The sunrise this morning enroute to work was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

My station south of cork city is reading -3.5C now, was at -3.9C half an hour ago.

Was driving down from Dublin this evening and it was rare to see in winter the temperature get colder the further south I headed with it hitting -4C at Mitchelstown.

Temperature dropping faster in Sligo now despite drizzly misty sleet. 0c now. The peak chance for snow for us here will be 7am until about midday tomorrow . After that a slight Northwesterly in the wind so sleet and hail thereafter here. Still snow in other areas though.

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

In most locations, tomorrow will be beautifully sunny and very cold with temperatures struggling to get above 2c away from exposed coastal spots. Enjoy it folks as we will be wet and windswept from arthritis inducing westerly muck by the weekend.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

An impressive -6 at midnight in Millstreet near the Kerry border

• Registered Users Posts: 14,484 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Interesting also, that rain heading east into France is from a low that came up from the Azores, at one point it was close to being a subtropical storm but never got the name. If synoptics had been a bit different this locally sourced cold air could be contributing to a snowfall event but the moisture shield from the southern low was sheared off before that could happen.

Tomorrow night the cold is likely to be more widespread under core of high pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hyperbole and misinformed. I've had proper Grandtrek winter tyres across winter and summer (and they're not optimal in summer rain and I've pushed all season BFG Urban Terrains (3 peaks) hard for a few years now. They are great in everything except ice; which is the big risk for most motorists across the island currently (and most bad winters). And no, winter compound is not much good on ice either.

Your post is pure hype and impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Plenty of reports coming in of snow in Donegal this morning. Light dusting on the car here on the coast but it's freezing hard. Travelling is going to be fun today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some showers moving in over the North Connacht coastal counties, none of any real substance though. Temperature didn't really start to drop until after 2am here and holding steady at a low of -2 with a nice frost which has frozen the rain that fell last night, glad to have the option to WFH today.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

if you are a snow lover it must be soul destroying to live in the south of England today, they are literally a few miles off a snow event!!

Low of -4.7C south of cork city last night, high of -0.3C as cloud rolled in but dropping again and at -1.7C currently!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Not as cold last night as the previous night in Cork City (-6C vs. -3C), Roads are fine.

• Advertisement

Snowing in Sligo this morning. Not much yet though. But at least it snowed.

Advertisement