Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small SUV or.....?

• 13-01-2024 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I am finding it really difficult to choose a second hand car. Currently driving a 2009 3 door Mazda 2 which is no longer suitable for my needs-- I have a 4 year old and currently 6 months pregnant so definitely time for an upgrade!

I have been looking at small SUVs/crossovers e.g. seat arona/skoda kamiq. I test drove a 2020 seat Arona priced at 20,000, the dealership said they would give it to me for 18000 plus my car as trade in. Great milage, nct, great condition and they would give me a 2 year warrenty.

It seems like a good deal? The only thing is after driving it im not sure if I should actually buy a small SUV, perhaps a saloon/hatchback would actually be more suited to what I need. The boot and back seats in the Arona seemed quite small/cramped and I dont think I would get much in there other than the 2 car seats. Also when driving the arona there seemed to be a huge amount of condenstation/ water on the windscreen and after some googling I see the arona has some issues with this, it put me off a bit.

The arona doesnt really seem massively bigger than my current car, it seems like I would be paying for the elevated seating position (which I do like but isnt a deal breaker). I am now thinking of alternatives-- I am thinking of possibly Skoda Scala, which has bigger boot and back seat but still isnt huge. Basically looking for a medium practical petrol family car, going for shortish drives most days and about 4 long motorway journeys 6ish times a year.

Thanks for reading and grateful for any advice/suggestions!

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Something like this springs to mind straight away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2020-octavia-1-5-tsi-automatic-new-nct/35885475

Small SUVs are not good for space at all. I have a hatchback car, cupra born and it's far more spacious than the likes of an Arona and it's not a big car at all.

Honestly if it's space you want look at hatchbacks, saloons and estates. Saloons a bit more awkward with the boot opening being a bit smaller, even if the boot is big.

SUVs can give a perception of size but that's all it is in the smaller ones. Larger SUVs have space but are more expensive.

Traditional cars are a bit out of fashion now and you could get a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Some SUV style cars are just cars higher off the ground,no extra room, people carriers and estates have more room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

Yep, I'd stay away from those "pretend" (for want of a better word) SUV types. No room at all, as with the above posters, hatchback, saloon or estate for space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Octavia all day long.

Those small SUV are too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sell the Mazda2 privately, you will get more than what the dealer is offering you for it.

The cars your looking at are really just jumped up crossovers based on small cars like the Ibiza and Fabia which are in the same class as your Mazda 2. They are trendy because of the elevated driving position so command strong money. Better off with a traditional hatchback like the Octavia recommendation which is a perfect family car, lots of interior space and a large practical boot.

For example:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3569089

https://www.carsireland.ie/3468575

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭GPoint

OP, buy an Octavia, you will not regret! I had one in my family after the mondeo liftback, both cars had tons of boot space and legroom in the back.

avoid small suvs they are lifted hatchback with inflated price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

They’ve been offered €2k for their trade in. They won’t get more for it privately. Its a 15 year old Mazda 2 3dr

Is that the Mazda 2 that was basically a fiesta?

Might get 2 on a private sale and a discount on straight sale maybe. But possibly not worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Is a Peugeot 3008 considered to be a small SUV? And what about the Peugeot 2008?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Get a Skoda Superb Combi, preferably the Sportline version. You'll have loads of room for 2 adults, 2 kids, the dog + a month's supply of groceries & kitchen sink in the boot🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3008 is a regular size crossover, competes with the likes of the RAV4, Tiguan, Kuga etc.

The 2008 is comparable to Juke, CHR etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freaky

Thanks so much for all the comments, really appreciate it. Lots of recommendations for the octavia, I will definitely take one for a test drive. Im in Kerry and there currently arent a lot on offer-- when it comes to engine sizes what do you recommend? I was looking at a 2020 scala but it is the lower powered 1 litre engine, would that be too small for such a big car?

And yes my mazda is the one that was based on the fiesta, has been a great little car to me so far but I definitely dont expect to get more than 2 grand for it!

You don't need to buy locally to you. There'll be Octavia not too far though, they are plentiful. You get a decent first spin if you buy a bit away from you too

Personally if it has warranty I'd want it locally. But if you got a better deal somewhere else than that might be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try a few other cars too, if I was dealing with 2 child seats I’d rather a crossover to the likes of an Octavia because it’s easier to get kids in and out of seats etc. I’d be looking at the Skoda Karoq/Seat Ateca/Nissan Qashqai etc.

Dont worry about the 1.0 engine by the way. It’s turbocharged and is well able to do it’s job, incidentally it’s also fitted in the Octavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Skoda Octavia gets a vote from me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As you are probably aware being a trader, the OP isn't really getting 2k from that dealer for it though. The OP says that the 2020 Arona they were looking at was priced at 20k. Below is a similar one asking 19k so it's easy for the dealer to inflate the trade in value when the price of the car the dealer is selling is inflated also.

https://www.carsireland.ie/3331249

OP could potentially save at least 1k by selling the Mazda2 privately, whether the OP sees saving 1k is worth the extra hassle involved of selling privately is a question that the OP will need to answer. If the Mazda needs work to pass an NCT then obviously trading it in as is the best way.

Of course, theres no way they are actually offering €2k for it and they’ll most certainly take a loss on it at that price. If theres cheaper ones available they need to shop around and see who offers the best cost to change. You never know the dealer selling the €19k one may still offer €2k on the trade in.

Thanks so much to all of ye for your comments, its much appreciated, ye really helped clarify things.

I have another question if anyone is able to help me out... I went to see the below car today and really liked it and the price seems good. They will give me 1700 for my current car and a 1 year warrenty. The only query I have is the engine too small for such a big car? Its a 1 litre turbo with 115hp, it just seems like not a lot of power for such a big car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-1-0-tsi/35059397

Other than that I really like the car and it seems like a solid, practical option

Go drive one. Only way to know for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

Should be fine, a friend of mine has one of these, feels more punchy than a 1 litre-I had a Focus eco boost for a while, same thing, felt more powerful,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well if you want the higher seating position which will help when getting a baby into a car seat, and if you liked the arona, you could have a look at a t-roc?

bigger than the arona and is basically a higher up golf, the arona is an Ibiza which is the class below.

there are plenty on DoneDeal for around the 20k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

Looks like a lovely example OP... I actually really like the colour too. The 1.0 is still 115bhp so will be fine power wise.

Best of luck if you decide to go for it.

Them seats will be absolutely filthy with two kids

Bring a baby seat and try sitting in the back with it, in each of the cars your considering. Also check the pram in the boot etc.

Oh god didnt think of that🤣car seat covers all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

I'd say go for the blue one linked earlier, it has higher spec and the 1.5 150hp engine is much better especially with a full car. Sure the 1L will do but it seems overpriced for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

My wife had a Seat Leon when we had our first child.

Since then she has has a Kuga, an Ateca and now a CRV. She will not drive a low car until the kids don't need to be lifted into car seats.

She much rathers a hatchback. Leon, Golf etc. But she loves the higher seating position for lifting kids and buggies. Reckons her back would be broke reaching down and it.

That said an Arona would be a waste of time for buggies. Ateca and Kuga were grand for buggies and car seats. CRV is brilliant altogether.

All that being said. I've had several low cars since we've had kids and never bothered me, until current A5 coupe, which is not recommended....

High seating is great. But get a bigger SUV then. Not a polo on stilts. You'll be cursing the lack of space in the rear seats and boot.

• Advertisement

Could also consider a Sandero Stepway or Duster if you want the higher seating position but you won’t have as much room as an Octavia estate.

I think a poster above me said to try lift a car seat in and out of the Octavia and see how it feels - I know being in the motor industry helping people it’s far easier to do it in the cars with a higher seating position but that might be a massive consideration for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Honestly,had a 3 coupe , seats slided nicely ahead, got a 5 for more room which it obviously had but thinking back putting small kids in the back especially,was actually easier in a 3 coupe with the bigger doors than the 5, obviously everyone is different,higher seating is overrated.

Advertisement