Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT- Minimum brake pad thickness?

• 13-01-2024 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all, my plan is to put the car through the NCT very soon. I noticed one of the rear pads is low, approx 2.5mm on one end, and 1.8mm on the other. They are wearing slightly uneven. The other pads in the car have around 4mm left of friction material.

What is the minimum thickness to pass then NCT, and could I get "fail dangerous" where they tell you not to drive away?

I will change them soon, but would like to see if the car needs other things for the NCT, hence me wanting to put it through the test now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Nct manual is online. If you have to ask...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

They're so cheap, I wouldn't even remove them unless I had a set to hand. The NCT measures brake performance, so you should be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are failing on wear levels now which to me doesn't make that much sense but I suppose when you see that half the population will continue to drive with metal to metal after pad is worn, it was probably right to add this check.

Anyway, it's nearly as much hassle ro remove the pads as to change them so for 30 or 40 quid, stick new ones in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭mk7r

Those will fail but not get a dangerous sticker

Advertisement