Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with APT heating switch - clock not working properly

• 13-01-2024 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice.

I recently put in an APT timer switch.

The orange indicator light stay. The switch turns the heating off and on no problem.

But the 24 hour timer only works in the ON position ie when the heating is on which isn't really great.

Is this a faulty switch or some other issue at play?

Would appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

These APT timers have 3 settings OFF ON CLOCK To set CLOCK push slide switch to CLOCK and set time you want boiler to kick in. Say you want it to kick in at 7 am and switch off at 9 am - push in all the pins between 7 & 9. (The orange light will also come on at 7 am and switch off at 9am) Current time must be at black arrow on right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Username202401

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is the 24 hour timer doesn't turn when sent to CLOCK or OFF. The timer only changes when it is on ON

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Either wired wrong or broken timer.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭CrazyEric

Sounds like it is wired it wrong. If the live in/live out are reversed then the clock will only get power when the OFF/ON/Clock switch is in the ON position.

Do you know an electrician to have a quick look at it? It is usually better to not mess with electrickery as it hurts when done wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

Undo the wiring and start again, this time follow the destructions 🤣 oops... I mean instructions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 jonjoe dev

I'm having the same issue with my new timer. Unfortunately the wires to it are brown, red and 2nr blue. I'm not entirely sure whether the red or the brown are the live (although from checking a plug socket the brown is connected to the live terminal).. the clock only worked in the clock setting but then when the timer turned the heating off, the clock also stopped. I switch the brown and red cables about and the clock was then working but when I switched the heating on there was a loud pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The symptoms you describe initially is consistent with the live in and out being reversed.

Simply swoping the brown and red in the photo shouldn’t give rise to any popping!. My guess is that the the brown is the supply and red is going to the burner - so it looks correct as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hurlaway

Changed 2 clocks in my own house at the weekend terminal no. Is neutral (blue) look at the bottom of the clock and it will tell you the connection's

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hurlaway

Sorry terminal no.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 jonjoe dev

Something definitely blew, I think the power intermittently cut also. the switch not working at all now and even the old one wont work. Anyway have organised an electrician. Will let yous know the outcome...thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement