Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mounting a doorbell cam on ones front door?

• 13-01-2024 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I got the Ring 2nd gen Doorbell cam.

Are the screws provided intended to be used in wood?

Using a screwdriver to sink them in, it feels like the door is screaming out in pain, not to mention the last few millimeters are proving kind of stubborn.

Perhaps it's possible to just use smaller screws than the ones provided?

The depth of the screw goes almost exactly 50% depth into the thickness of the door...... so it's a thick enough door.

Anyone mounted one of these cams and how did you find mounting the bracket on your door to work out?

PS - you think my landlord would have beef with me sinking 4 screws into the front door of his rented accommodation?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Also, this being mounted on an external door in a housing estate, probability it could get vandalized itself?

This is an image of the cam.

Hi, your landlord might be annoyed. You should really have asked. But, if the screws are hard to install. Perhaps drill a small pilot hole first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As a (former) landlord i wouldn’t have been bothered

Screw Holes are easy to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Oh really?

I know one can fill concrete holes but a wooden door?

Provided they can be fixed good as new I guess it's not big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Depends on how much of a mess has been made, doesnt appear to have considered doing a pilot hole which would make sense.

If there was an existing doorbell, it would make sense to put it in the same place, using some of the existing holes and at least leaving it so others can be filled/covered at a later date. Also, wood can be filled, some clown may think the same if its pvc and it might look like a complete mess. Given the OP (no offence) doesn't seem to have a clue what they are doing in such a basic task, I think it may be better to ask for help before starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Most screws work fine in wood, the noise is likely the metal squeaking against the wood, a small pilot hole would help. There could also be a metal bar providing rigidity for the door and that's what you've hit up against. Other screws can be used, just make sure you're not so stiff that you strip the screws now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You don't seem to know what you are doing for a very basic task. You've come to the right place though.

I'm going to assume you don't have any tools besides maybe a screwdriver. If this is the case, you either need to start investing in basic tools, or get someone who can do the work for you. Installation shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

The reason for the squeaking is you are screwing into a hard wood frame, The dense wood is gripping the screw super tight the further you screw it in. You need to drill a hole where the screws are to go first. Use a 1.5mm wood screw bit to drill the holes and then use the screws. Please note that small drill bits break easily, so drill slow, straight and support the weight. A snapped drill bit in the wood can be a massive pain to remove.

Stay Free

Advertisement