Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new investment option?

• 13-01-2024 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I have some money in my bank that I am keen to low/medium risk invest in. I already have post office shares and co own a property. I am looking as other options gold, art, jewels?? I don't want to go down the cryptocurrency route. Or maybe buy a small property abroad, open a foreign bank account? Just looking at all options for my future

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You state low to medium risk and then talk about gold, jewellery, art and foreign property as investments? Gold, art etc. is diversity investments that's better done once you have a sold stock portfolio (be that individual stocks or a mix of funds) build up already; it's not a starting point. In your case you need to be clear any investment comes with risk; that risk is sky high (crypto) to high (individual stocks) to high medium (global index funds) but they all come with risk and should only be considered for a) 5+ year investment horizon and b) money you can afford to lose. If you can't afford to lose it then you can't afford to invest it (at which point you should look at government bonds from EUR EU countries, high interst saving accounts via Raisin.ie and hte like etc. as the alternatives).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I have lots a bond and saving certificate with post office and irish life share. Would it be better to transfer monies from a regular bank account here to an account abroad best country? Or invest in a small property but that would be more hassle with agents, tenants maintenance etc. The interest rates aren't great on saving accounts here wondering of were it could be invested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As the usual caveat goes this is not financial advise and I'm not a financial adviser knowing the details of your situation etc. but I'd look at investing into global index funds or something similar. Nothing exotic and lowest fee possible but S&P500, Global index funds etc. is the safest investment taking the returns one step up from bonds and similar. Yes, you're not going to see 300% increase in a year but neither will you see your funds crash to zero but it may go red for a while. However over time you can expect around 7 to 9% return averaged out if you can sit it all out.

Advertisement