Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rounded off bleed valve

Options
  • 13-01-2024 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi double radiator in hall inside panel is cold to touch. Warm at bottom. Needs bleeding. The bleed key is just spinning and not engaging. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sometimes if you grind off a few mm off the end of the key it allows a better purchase.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Or stuff some PTFE tape between the key and bleed screw - it might create sufficient engagement to take it out.

Best have a need screw ready to replace it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Thats a double radiator, there will be another bleed valve on the other side. This might be enough heat for you if it works.

I have rounded off the end of the barrel/socket type before, then use a big grips to clamp it hard to the radiator and turn at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Hi yeah I bled the other valve no issue and it's red hot but ideally I'd like the inside one firing too. The second point you make, are you saying you clamped the key with the grips or you managed to grip the screw? I've tried gripping g screw with pliers but no success

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

Make sure you work on a cold rad.Turn the valves off.

Scalding water is harder to deal than cold water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Clamp this way to stop key camming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

turn off both rad valves,

open vent and release pressure

drill a small hole 2mm in non working panel

barely open 1 valve and let air out

turn off valve

get a small self tapper screw and wrap ptfe tape clockwise and tap it into 2mm hole

open valves

rad now working.

its not pretty but it works.

the trouble is if you manage to open the worn bleed screw there's no guarantee you will get it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

I see these on Amazon Arctic Hayes EasiBleed, Self-Drilling Radiator Bleed Draining Valves, Pack of 2 https://amzn.eu/d/7Pk76To

might be my best option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Soak it in wd40 and hopefully it'll help you loosen it

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

• Advertisement
Advertisement