Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Herds sharing a Shed

Options
  • 14-01-2024 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I would like to build a combined shed along with the BIL that we will in practice share. We are wondering if its possible to share a shed with the following criteria; 5 bay shed with the centre bay being a loose pen that has a full partition on one side so fully separating and creating a divide in the centre of the shed. It would be open bay so technically no shared air-space. Each half would have its own tank. In this yard we would have seperate entrances for each herd into their respective sides. There would be seperate handling facilities also - existing crush on one side for one herd and a new TAMS handling facility on the other. We can put a gate partition down the centre of the yard also. I can avail of 60% TAMS grant which he cannot whereas he has some money to put towards it which we do not. I would perhaps be borrowing the money from him as I understand for TAMS it has to come from me yes? We both need somewhere to winter cattle. In theory is this something we could make work and keep above board? Would anyone have suggestions on how to work this as we haven't even drawn up plans yet so everything is on the table. Obviously we can just build one shed and share it and whenever there would be in inspection then we'd have to get his cattle out but we are just exploring the possibility of doing this legit. Can I B&B one half of the shed to him? I am in Bord Bia and would like to go into organics also in the future, he may be interested in same.

Another option is to build two sheds side by side, perhaps have bale storage in the centre or something.

Would appreciate any tips as the ag advisor is brutal at getting back to me.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

A few points

B&B no longer exists gone a good few years so it is a full transfer of stock into herd number.

Best thing to do is talk to your local DVO

On TAMS the person drawing down the grant has to be the person using it solely so can't be renting it to someone else. Whoever is getting the TAMS grant must own the site where the shed is built. Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

have both separate land parcels/ herd numbers? If the shed is on land owned by one person then the other persons cattle have to be transferred to that herd number for the duration. It doesn't make any difference how well separated the cattle are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

It’s way too messy and a sure fire way to start a family argument.

save up and finance your own yard away from your bil and separately.In the long run it’s for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

As Who2 says, build your own shed. It'll be unnecessarily complicated if you go ahead with your proposed plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Even the financials of it. You get the 60 percent grant. But he had money to put in. How the hell would you depreciate that…..

It sounds like a terrible idea that has t half the advantages that you think. Can’t see it even saving any money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭lmk123

Don’t even dream of doing it, we all like to save a few pound where possible but that’s just a recipe for disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I know two brothers with back to back farmyards with boundary through the yard.

honestly it’s a disaster, every few years there’s a massive bust up, a year of not talking and aggravation, then they are tight as thieves again.

I was helping one do a test one day which was supervised by Dept vet, 3 cows registered to brothers herd in the shed. Massive row broke out with vet and Dept vet present. It was a horror, I went off down the fields for a walk.

Could ye consider a partnership maybe, full documents drawn up, do it properly where there’s no ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Forget the partnership. Partners are only for dancing.

Ye are potentially opening a massive can of worms, just for the sake of the price of two gables. Nuts in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Partnership would seem the most obvious option to me.

60% grant would be fully above board for your brother then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HayDay18

I get the concerns re family disputes but honestly they get on very well and are nothing like most families ... or my own family! Neither in it for a whole pile of money. He will pay for it so it will be his shed further down the line and that is fine by us as he gave us a site in the past no questions asked - I swear they are a rare bunch! If we do our own sheds then one has to feed the cattle at one shed then go to another shed and feed those cattle too which is a dose, one does it when the other is working and vice versa so having the cattle side by side makes much more sense.

Just to be clear - is B&B definitely no longer a thing?

Not keen on partnership. Was more wondering if we could make this work what would we need to do.

Thanks for all the comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement