Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge cutting season

• 14-01-2024 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

I have a hedge to tidy off before the season closes. If I face the hedge and have the bushes lying there before the 1st march can I gather the bushes with a digger and push them into a pile after that date or is there something about how long they’ve been sitting. Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't think you can touch it after Feb 29th. Even what's cut would have to be left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Well you can't abandon them on the back swath either. op do what you need to do with them after the 1st March. Enough of serious things in anyone's life to be concerning about, without such petty matters annoying one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Iv a large Leylandi hedge on my own property. Plan to cut sides with tractor hedge cutter. And top it in summer. Will I get away with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

I’ve to push them to the bottom of the field to let them rot. There could be about 200m of a hedge to clean off and win bushes growing out of it to stub. It just doesn’t suit time wise to do it all at the minute I could get a couple days to clean the hedge off so he can fence it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Watch you don't go too far. Those hedges don't like or recover well from a severe trim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

If it's whitethorn then leave it, farms are not gardens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

You’re right there not. But if the hedge is coming out into the field 20 foot, when you add that up the whole way around the field that’s a lot of ground lost to make silage on or graze livestock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

Maybe. If you need more grass to make more money then sure.

Alot of stuff going on inside and underneath those hedges and ditches, especially this time of year in the cold. I'd just be thinking twice before upsetting it is all and giving myself more work. A couple of extra bales wouldn't make a difference to my setup. Every has different needs of course

Advertisement