Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver License

Options
  • 15-01-2024 4:07am
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

Hello everyone. I am a 19 year old who wants to ride a bike in Ireland. Is it possible to ride a road legal dirtbike as a learner rider and possibly sit a test on it? What are the steps for having a road legal dirtbike? Do i have to begin on a normal motorbike first? I really wanna get a dirtbike and i am very confused because there is so many laws and rules and i am new to this. I’ll be glad if anyone can help me out here.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You'll need to get your dirtbike registered. That may require adaptations, since a dirtbike not designed for registration may not comply with the RTA requirements — e.g. the lights or aspects of the electrics may not conform, it might not have a speedo or the required mirrors, etc. But if you make any necessary adaptations and get it registered then all you have to do is get it taxed and insured, and you can ride it on the roads like any other motorbike.

You can learn on it too, provided you have the appropriate learner's permit. Because you're only 19 you won't be able to get a permit for a bike with a power rating that exceeds 35 kw, or a power-to-weight ratio that exceeds 0.2 kW/kg. I know nothing about motorbike engineering so I have no idea how significant these restrictions might be, but you would want to choose your dirtbike with an eye to the requirements of the learner's permit that you will obtain.

Advertisement