Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad week for hedge cutting?

Options
  • 15-01-2024 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Can't decide if it's a bad week for cutting back a griselina with the low temps.

I was hoping to do this week before the rain comes back as I'm worried that it will just rain through to March and where a chunk of this hedge is floods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Grislenia definitely doesn't do well in prolonged cold and ice spells..any fresh cut of it now would be exposing to killing it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Only cut back griselinia in late spring or early summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't think I would, I lost grisilina hedges over the years in frost so wouldn't do anything that might weaken it in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

To piggy back this. I've 20ft high Leylandi hedges to trim back a bit. When's the right time to give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Spring / summer for leylandii . Don’t trim back past green shoots as it doesn’t regrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 AndB456

ok so, I'll leave off for a while yet. Hopefully Feb is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AndB456

Out of interest, what are people doing in their gardens this week? I have tomorrow off and wanted to get a few things done but I don't want to moves debris or cut back flowers stalks for wintering insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I’ve organised to get our hedges cut. We’ve got the vigorous thug hornbeam which we inherited from the previous owner.. and lots of it. Two sides of a long lane and is up at 7/8ft, want it down to 5ft.

I’m ignoring the over sized huge Laurels at the back of the property for now. They’re north facing so they serve a purpose, I guess.

Other than that, I going to prune roses and one I want to move, but I’ll wait until it’s not so cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭billyhead

Loosen the soil. In relation to the OPs question hold off pruning/cutting until early spring. The current frost will cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I have stuff to do too but waiting until current cold spell passes much as I'd like to go out tomorrow when the sun is shining and cut all before and after me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement