Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grohe kitchen tap dripping

Options
  • 15-01-2024 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Boardsies,

My Grohe kitchen tap has begun drip, drip, dripping... and it's getting worse.

Any tips or advice on how or whether a novice like myself can fix this? Or does this a professional?

It's a dual-lever mono mixer tap - bought & installed in 2006.

I can take the levers off each side, but can't seem to get any further. I've never looked at taps before - so definite novice here.

I notice it also seeps a little from the base of the J (where it sits into the conical base).

See photos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Probably needs a new cartridge. Hopefully you can get one to match as they are tricky to find..every tap is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭sector_000

Would you recognise the model of this Grohe? Where do I get such spares?

Would a new cartridge solve all the leaks? Are they easy to install?

Do you think it would be more cost-effective to get a new cartridge rather than buy a whole new tap?

My wife happens to like the brushed steel (& it has in fairness lasted 18 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's a popular make so I guess Google and see what you can find. I had same issue with an unbranded tap few years ago and tried few different cartridges before giving up and getting a new tap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Most likely, after 16 years, those seals will be well perished and stuck fast.

You got your monies worth, I'd just buy a new tap (which I have had to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You don't have to replace the whole thing for the sake of a couple of rubber washers costing a few pennies. I'd say you need to unscrew the tubes covering the internals to access them. Wrap something protective over them first so they don't scratch then use a plumber's pliers. Remember to turn the water off below the sink first!

Alternatively a plumber will sort you out in no time.

• Advertisement

I looked under the sink and there doesn't appear to be a valve to turn off the hot water!! I see the stop cock for the mains.

Any ideas where plumbers would usually hide a valve for the hot water??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

Do you have a hot tank or combi?

Hot tank

(Not sure what a combi is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

You will have a pipe that comes from the cold tank ( in the loft) that goes into the bottom of the hot tank. There should be a valve on this pipe.

This valve will stop the flow of water going to all the hot taps. Hopefully this valve works and is in the hot press but it might be in the loft by the cold tank.

Advertisement