Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sue electric Ireland in small claims court

Options
  • 15-01-2024 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to sue Electric Ireland in the small claims court. The process through the CRU would put years on you.

i was hoping helpful boardsies might know the correct entity to sue. It was just for electricity. Thanks all :-}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

BIt more background story about why you want to go this route?

Have you thought about talking to your local councillor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you exhausted all the official channels and do you have records from contacting them etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I have a complaint against one of the utility companies sitting at the CRU and have been told that it might waiting "months" before an investigating officer can pick it up due to the big increase in complaint volumes.

They say if you want to pursue a different avenue that's quicker then you can, so maybe the small claims court is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭IsaacWunder

We don’t have a “small claims court” exactly. It’s the district court, and you will be going up against an established operator in Electric Ireland who were previously, if not still are, a subsidiary of the massive semi-state company that is the ESB, meaning they will have a legal department.

If you feel you must sue, talk to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

They lied to me when they were supposed to set me up last year and then was billed incorrectly due to this. I did get a cheque from ESB but they can stick the small amount.

i have correspondence and have made complaints. They make it impossible.

I have a smart meter and they breached a contract so don’t see why I won’t win. Just need to know is electric Ireland the entity or who would you sue.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The SCC procedure will not award you additional damages, only for actual loss.

What actual loss do you have beyond that already refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

None of that shows a monetary loss. What are you claiming for?

Advertisement