Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct - battery mounting insecure

Options
  • 15-01-2024 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi, I would be glad of any help in this.

Had the car in for

the nct. Failed on one issue. Battery mounting insecure.

I replaced the battery recently. The original battery had a little lip at the bottom that a metal clamp sat over to secure it in place.

Unfortunately the new battery didn't have that, so I fabricated a metal arm to hold it in place. The arm is bolted at the base at on side and sits over the battery. See pic. I was happy with it, but nct were not. Unfortunately I wasn't there on the day to quiz the guy.

Anyone know what I could do with this? 

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Thats a bit rough and looks like it doesn't really secure the battery properly. Probably easier to get a proper clamp for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

You posted a pic of the arm fitting snugly over a lipped battery and then one where it doesn't on a different battery in the car.

I've never seen an un-lipped battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's kind of drawing attention with the pipe lagging and cable ties.

Could you get someone to make up a bracket for you that will be snug fitting if tested ?

It's worth a try because you've obviously invested in a good battery.

For future reference it's best to bring the old battery into the place you're buying the new one and make sure you get like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭mk7r

If you can grab the battery with your hands and slide it at all then it's a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Luna84

You will have to make up a new bracket as the one you are using now was made for the battery in first pic and not the new battery. You also used pipe lagging with cable ties which would have come straight to the testers eyes when scanning the engine bay.

You can also buy brackets if you do not want to fabricate another for yourself. They have threaded bars with screw on butterfly clips that you tighten down to secure the battery in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Looking at that there seems.to be at least a cm gap between the bottom of the clamp.and the battery but it's wedges in place with the foam padding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Simplest way out of that would be to put a correctly sized 'spacer' under the new battery to raise it to the 'correct' height for the bracket. I've seen some people use wood but I'd recommend metal.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The battery clamp is a fiver in Halfords. Why waste your time making one that looks ****.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers/halfords-battery-clamp-165407.html

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This. End of thread, no point reinventing the wheel. Or battery clamp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement