Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core Drill 165mm-170mm?

• 15-01-2024 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

I recently purchased 2 X BSK Zephyr Single Room Heat Recovery vents. They require a 165mm hole for the duct. Is it possible to get a 165mm Core Drill (for hire)? I'd prefer a dry core so as not to cause too much of a mess to the existing interior, which is fully finished and painted, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Yes try local hire shops not sure if they will hire dry core but def will the wet core, You may have to buy the dry core set & maybe hire a good SDS drill for same. Dry core works better with block / brick, mass concrete with rebar the dry core will struggle especially at that diameter you may have to go with wet core. Also depending on wall thickness you may have to core in the depth of the bit & then break out 1st section & go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

Have you seen dry core sets this size? If so can you share a link?

How messy is the wet core, would it be advisable to do it from the outside? The issue is i’d need a scaffold tower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is it a cavity wall?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

Yes, 300mm (including 100mm fullfill Aeroboard Platinum)

yes try chadwicks or B & Q, If going with wet core yes do it from outside & have a hose ready to rinse wall down immediately afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Shoog

Couldn't get one that size locally to hire in Leitrim. I could buy one from Screwfix but it would take days to arrive.

In the end I did it with a ring of 2inch cores and chizzle. Messy but didnt end up taking much longer than a single core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

jasgrif11 How have the BSK Zephyrs worked out for you ?

Post edited by TimHorton on

• Registered Users Posts: 20 betterbuilt

Hi I'm facing same task - need to drill two 162mm holes for two vents 160mm, wondering if you had any advice on how to do the ring of 2inch cores and chisel!? I want to avoid damaging the exterior plasterwork and thinking maybe best option is to buy a 162mm core bit and hire a handheld core drill for the morning…

Any advice welcome

Advertisement