Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving elderly outdoor cat

Options
  • 16-01-2024 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

My cat is 16.5. He's outdoors by day and in by night. Not litter trained (he looks to go out during night if he needs to go). We currently live in a rural area so he goes to the next door farm during the day, usually gone from about 8am until 5.30pm.

The issue is, I am moving in with my boyfriend. He has cats - it's a farm so all but one are totally feral - so my guy is gonna have to become an indoor-only cat. A catio is probably an option, though I'd worry he would spend all day looking through a wire fence with the feral cats hissing and spitting at him which would stress him out.

Has anyone made this kind of transition? To be honest, it's my main worry about moving. I'd have moved from where I am years ago for lots of reasons and it's purely for my cat's sake I've stayed (I did have more cats but they've all since passed away). I worry that the stress of moving will be too much for him and he'll either die of stress or live his final years in misery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

An animal behaviourist cat expert might be your best bet considering it’s age- or talk to your local vet - as a suggestion I’d really try and start seeing how your cat copes indoors all day in its current home considering everything is familiar - it will be less stressful - if it works out the stress will be less in the new home - introduce the area where it’s encouraged to do it’s business - would cat litter contain aromas that encourages deification I wonder? Obviously keep this area well away from the food area

Advertisement