Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water heating when House heating on

• 16-01-2024 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hello

I am in a 3 Year old house. I just noticed that when I have heating on downstairs it is also heating up the water. House is 3 Zone so can heat downstairs , upstairs and water separately. I am wondering if water heating up when another zone is active is normal or not. What could be the reason if this is not normal. Currently today my water is at 67 degrees as i had the heating on downstairs.

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! No, not normal. See can you find the zone valves for each zone, EPH or Honeywell branded usually. The hot water zone valve should be unlit or off/closed by default when another zone is open. Maybe a stuck valve or just wired wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

As above plus make sure hotwater zone valve is not manually open.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pat201

Thanks Folks. I made sure the valves were on Auto. Turned on each and lights came on all except water valve ( maybe because water too hot at moment) i will check again later when water below 60 degrees

Does this look a correct setup? Up and down valves are self explanatory but not sure what M/H is. Im assuming water since i only have 3 valves

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

MH is probably HW upside down 😄

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Yes, that's the correct setup.

Does the H/W valve make a whirring sound when you manually move the lever to the open position and let it click back closed?

It seems too. It feels the same as the other 2 valves. Just tested it again today and when downstairs heating is on it is heating water too. The light does not come on water valve unless I select the water heating. Would that indicate its the valve that is problem rather than electronics

Easy to swap or a professional job ?

Easy enough swap, two screws and 4 or 5 wires.

Before replacing it, try taking the head off (two screws) and expose the valve head. You can twist it into a closed position and see if the pipe to the tank stops heating.

Advertisement