Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build / Site Insurance

Options
  • 16-01-2024 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping to start building soon and presume i have to insure the site even though any tradesperson who enters would need their own presumably?

Anyone know what type i should get. Google surprisingly not very helpful, there doesn’t really seem to a ‘site insurance’ and i doubt it would be house insurance due to lack of said house. Maybe there is some sort of general public liability insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

I organised mine through a broker. It was about €800.

Also my mortgage company wouldn’t let me draw down without proof of it.

It all felt a bit pointless IMO. I think it was called Course of Construction insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's interesting, i certainly didn't have any or was requested to but that was 20 years ago.

Like the OP i'd have assumed any contractor would have their own PLI once on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

That’s what made it all so pointless. The contractor (and all of his subbies) had their own PLI. The contractor had full control of the site during the build so any public liability claim would have gone through him. So I couldn’t understand why I also needed it on top of all that. The bank wouldn’t budge.

Advertisement