Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untested and Untaxed Car Parked in Estate - What Can Be Done?

Options
  • 16-01-2024 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the title says - just wondering is this a council or Garda matter? Or would they even bother?

Car parked in a common area within estate and parking is at a premium as it is. It is out of NCT a number of years and not in use and needlessly taking up space and I am not sure the rationale for the owners keeping it. I am fairly sure I know the house number it belongs to. Just curious if anything can be done. I don't particular want to bring myself to neighbours attention but would love to see this abandoned car get removed.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

When you say "common area" is that in a privately owned estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

That is a good question. The council were to take it over a number of years ago but am not sure where that is at. Would the law be different in this case?

I'm not really sure to be honest. First thing would be to notify the registered owners of the property that an un-taxed/un-roadworthy car is parked or abandoned on their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gilly43

I’ve had a car lifted by a local authority (not donegal) which was abandoned in a parking space outside my apartment. If you send the details (make/model/reg/how long abandoned) they should investigate and lift it if confirmed as abandoned

And the council hadn’t taken over the estate I was in……

• Advertisement

Thanks I will try that as a first course of action. The car is long since out of NCT and hasn't moved in a few years.

Well I contacted the council on this and they didn't really help. Apparently because it's registered to an owner it's not abandoned and they cannot come in and remove someone's property even if publicly parked unless it's an obstruction.

So not sure where to go here. Would the Garda be bothered. They could issue a fine for being untaxed and untested which might eventually lead to it being moved. Need to get my ducks in a row on this before I go to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If the number plates magically fell off it would be a lot easier to remive

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭StormForce13

A few years ago an old car was abandoned in the carpark of a sports club that I'm a member of.

When we contacted the Council to have it removed, they asked us if there was a numberplate on it (there was) and informed us that a vehicle wouldn't be considered as abandoned if it had a number plate.

Lo and behold, a couple of days later the number plates had mysteriously disappeared, so the Council was contacted again and, a few days later, the abandoned car was removed!

I don't particularly want to do anything illegal myself - plus being in the estate easy chance someone would spot me. Also, if I reported to the council again in the same place etc they would know what happened. I will put this as a last resort even if it might have been the best option in the first place.

Legally, it does seem to be an offence to publicly park an untested/untaxed car in a public place. Will the Guards be bothered is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

The car is not abandoned if it is owned by someone in the estate and they are perfectly entitled to use the space if it is for the estate, or if there is a maintenance fee being paid by them. You cannot go to council or guards claiming the car is abandoned if the owners are still living in the estate

I am sorry but the car is untested and untaxed for three years and not in use. The law states a car parked in a public place must be tested or taxed of which this does meet the criteria off. It may not be defined as "abandoned" but its not legal and if they want to keep it it should be on private property.

I do not believe they are "perfectly entitled" or we could fill car parks with old scrap cars so long as they have a registered owner, going by that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It is not in compliance with the Road Traffic Acts and cannot be kept in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If its untaxed, contact the Gardai. Is it causing an issue with other residents? Have you established if it is public grounds or private? If it is private, the council or Gardai wont do anything.

I am pretty sure it's public. It's parked around an island in the middle of an estate (taken over by council). I cant say if it's causing an issue for other residents but suspect it does annoy people trying to get parked.

I think the guards should be obliged to issue fine or force them to get off the road. If they will or not is another matter.

Any idea as to how long it's been since someone last drive the car or in other words how long has it been abandoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭3DataModem

[edit: deleted]

Over three years since there was NCT on it and I'd say it's as long since it was driven. I can't remember the last time it wasn't there. It's almost certainly not going back on the road and probably non functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe ask some of the other neighbours if they have any issues or if they have found out any other info on the car. If not, you might need to speak to the owner yourself to address the issue.

Advertisement