Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this document good enough to get an accurate quotes from potential contractors?

Options
  • 16-01-2024 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I've put together a document detailing the known work required for the renovation of our 1930s end-of-terrace house. I'm looking for feedback on the document as I'm hoping it provides the right amount of detail to send to contractors in order to get a reasonably accurate quote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not bad for a lay person. But it's a long way from tender docs standard - h would be the benchmark for the "right amount of detail to get a reasonably accurate quote".

• Plans - No works are shown. accurate dimensions would be better. Demolished walls not shown. Doesn't indicate which wall is new.
    • Plumbing - Size and spec of radiators is not noted. Builder could install the cheapest, smallest he can fine and meet the spec. Ditto tank. Extent of kitchen pluming noted.
    • Windows and doors - Spec of "double or triple-glazed" means he can get away with pricing double. No thermal performance noted. No frame materials noted.
    • Kitchen - Demo/New walls and doors not shown. "New floors" doesn't way what this floor is. No spec for stove. No specs for quality of kitchen. Expect a really basic kitchen to be priced.
    • Lights - No spec fr the type of lights. There is a bit of a range possible
    • Flooring what the intent of air tightness layer. Given the underfloor space is ventilated. This will need to be clearly detailed. How do you plan to add UFH in future if you lay floor boards now? Are you planning on laying pipes now?
    • Other works - Sound proof wall. What level of soundproofing are they to price. A detail is needed. Where is is half height wall (not on plans), how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As Mellor has said , it is way too light on detail, leaving you wide open to getting screwed with high prices, crap quality and loadsa wriggle room

eg on sockets, they can be cheap white plastic or nice brushed stainless steel, with or without USB outlets...

Why the isolation switches?

Part soundproofing is waste of time IMO

In addition, without specing a final db value, which no builder will sign up for you will get screwed over

Bose noise cancelling head sets are 200 lids

UFH only in part of the house is suboptimal unless you go for low temp rads now elsewhere

Lastly can you explain this]\

1. eaves are poorly insulated and take up a good proportion of the ceiling surface area.

maybe a picture

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

as a QS id have a field day with this working for a Contractor

Just some notes.

Jist of it is: detail, detail, detail.

The document is poor, id doubt you would even get someone to tender the job.

Id suggest breaking each room down into that you want done with all measurements shown and then go do a Mechanical and Electrical section.

Think of this as a game of CAT and Mouse, in this instance you are the Mouse and Contractor is the cat, once he is on site it will be all about catching you for more money and with your document youd be caught the minute you sign up. Id also recommend the Pink form of RIAI contract for this. SF-88.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks all for the feedback. I'll work on providing much more detail, including measurements, photos and specs as much as possible.

It does make me wonder how the average homeowner usually goes about getting their home renovated. Before I posted this I was somewhat happy with the level of detail provided in the document, e.g. number of radiators and their spec (double panel, double convector), the floor and attic insulation detail, count of light fittings and sockets etc. I understand now that this is not enough. Would the expectation be that homeowners looking to renovate should have a detailed knowledge of the specs they require for their renovation? As an example, is the onus on Jim and Mary to work out the BTUs required for their living room and provide the spec for one or more radiators for the space? Are they required to know that the minimum advised loft insulation is 300mm? I've assumed that most people that are renovating, and not extending, would have a general requirement / spec that would look like, "new kitchen, make the place warm and freshen up the decor".

You could certainly procure the contractor but how do you compare prices? Not all apples with apples, then you would get them on board and the variations would start rolling in on the basis of difference of opinion of what was in and not.

It's worth reading up on and deciding more definitely what you want so there are no surprises then after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As an example, check out pricing for radiators. There’s a huge difference between the smallest double rad, and the largest high spec double rad. Yet both meet your spec.

Most laypeople do not have the ability to provide this information. But most people dint try and tender a detailed design. They just approach a builder and get them to provide a price to follow a vague outline.

If trying to tender to multiple builders. It probably more common to engage a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

@Tefral would you be able to give a rough cost of hiring a QS to do up a doc for a tender?

is it the same thing as above? if so probably €300-500 ex vat. If you are doing a house expect to €1500+ (a BOQ can run into hundreds of pages)

They will do a site visit and mark up what you want. Remember though, while QSs are experts in Construction, they are not Civil Engineers. The OP has moving of structural walls. A QS will be able to detail it enough to price but an engineer has to size any steel size of bearing pads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Appreciate the reply. I've planning draws for an extension but need more detail to get a proper quote

Advertisement