Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water tank in utility room? Why?

• 17-01-2024 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new build house and the water tank is in the utility room taking up space. It's a 4 foot high, 300 litre water barrel.

Everything on the ground floor comes straight off the mains water, and everything upstairs is fed from a pump built into the tank. I was thinking of buying a square tank to make better use of the cabinet they built around it, but I can't help but wonder why it's here and not in the attic like every other house.

Any idea why the tank is there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭carveone

At a guess perhaps they were from the UK and thought mains water supply would be fine until they found out the pressure was pants and wouldn't properly supply the top floor. Cue a massive bodge. Seems an odd thing to do even so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

This wouldn't be a new build in Ashtown?

Have seen 3 floor town house there with no room at roof level for tank plus lack of mains pressure to push water that distance up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Funny enough there's a few phases of houses and they're all built the same. The first phase has a water barrel in the utility and the second has a wedge shape tank under the stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭hydrus21

Hi.

Could you please expand a bit.

Is this cold water tank feeding a pressurised hot cylinder as well as supplying the upstairs cold water?

Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pumped powered cold water system isn't unusual these days. In a one off these would usually be located in an external garage.

Sounds like in this development they don't have the space for a garage so they included it in the utility as part of a 'mech and elec' room. I assume the heat pump internal unit is in here as well?

• Advertisement
Advertisement