If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Advice on New TV

Options
  • 17-01-2024 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

I have an old Samsung plasma tv (PS59D6900) that has developed a fault. It still works. Apparently it's a capacitor on the way out and is an easy enough fix. I don't think I will go this route as I would have to find somebody to do the job and it's probably time to upgrade anyway.

It's a long time since I bought a TV and have no clue about current tech. Would it be possible to get a bit general advice on this? I'm guessing tv tech like most other tech changes and improves at a regular pace so I would like to know what's current, what's new, what's on the way out etc before I look at specific models. Not the whole science, just a brief line or two on different types.

Current tv is 59" so I wouldn't want any smaller.

Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,274 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Heighway61.

Many thanks for the post.

There are a few different technologies for televisions now.

OLED: (I feel this will be best suited to you coming from a Plasma due to Black levels).

Organic Light-Emitting Diode

The acronym 'OLED' stands for Organic Light-Emitting Diode - a technology that uses LEDs in which the light is produced by organic molecules. These organic LEDs are used to create what are considered to be the world's best display panels.

QLED:

QLED stands for Quantum Dot LED, meaning that there is an extra layer of nanocrystals between the LED lights and the viewing screen. QLED TVs utilize an extra layer of red and green crystals to produce more pure and saturated colours than typical LED TVs.

Mini LED:

Mini-LEDs, like all local-dimming LED LCDs, can improve the contrast ratio by dimming certain areas of the screen so dark areas can appear darker.

OLED has more than 20,000 times the light source of Mini LEDs, and its 33 million pixels independently control light to produce exquisite colours and perfect black. * Meanwhile, Mini LED's approximately 1,500 light sources control light at a block level.

QNED:

Is a special type of display technology that takes the principles of a standard QLED TV but improves it with the inclusion of an LG NanoCell layer. The NanoCell layer is responsible for absorbing excess light that could ruin the contrast of a TV image. QNED TVs are also far cheaper than competing OLED or QLED TVs.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Thanks Kenny. Have you listed the tech in order of quality/performance?

The tv will be in a very bright room with large windows on three sides and open on the side opposite the tv. This was a problem with the plasma in that the blinds had to be closed for daytime watching. I read this is not as much a problem with LED. Is this true for all LED?

What's the main practical feature of the 4 types?

Hi Heighway61.

I would say there are listed in order of performance although QNED might go above Mini LED as its a tough call with those two in my opinion.

In a very bright room I would tend to rule out OLED as the panel can be reflective if light shines directly onto them just like your Plasma.

QLED and the others will not have this issue. That pushes us more towards the QLED to try and maintain the Black Levels you are used to with the Plasma.

There aren't really practical features of each types and its more down to picture quality and price point for each type.

Although OLED does not suit bright condition even thought the picture quality is far superior to the others. QLED give a good account for themselves and Samsung make some excellent versions. QLED doesn't suffer for image retention which OLED can and it also doesn't suffer too much in bright conditions, where as some standard LED's can become washed out looking in direct sunlight. QNED and Mini LED are also find for bright locations.

QNED tends to be mainly LG and Mini LED is used by several manufacturers and becoming more popular.

Each manufacturer will add their own spin to these technologies putting their own stamp on things.

Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Perfect, thanks.

No problem at all Heighway61.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.