Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The track of this storm is pretty much nailed on in the GFS. Almost anywhere could experience potentially severe wind gusts. Spot flooding also will occur.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

"Tight hi" as they say in wee Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Same, I judge every storm by Darwin's standards, hoping none of them come close to the sheer power and noise of Darwin!! Think you are also in Tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Donegal will definitely be going into a red warning tomorrow morning once that meeting with the The (NDFEM) happens.

Based on the latest Met Eireann Ensemble Cork, Kerry, Clare, Limerick, Galway, Mayo, Sligo & Leitrim could also be added to a red warning . I think we are going to see further upgrades by tomorrow morning as this is still a developing situation.

This will be the strongest storm of the season yet.

Im going to throw this this out there.. potentially the worst since Darwin but more country wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Re. The club finals, the people of St Brigids have a fairly straightforward journey down the motorway to Athlone, then it's just a few minutes from there. The people of Glen have a less straightforward route and they will be in the middle of the top third of Northern Ireland if you can picture that geographically at 7-8pm, not a great time to be travelling on the smaller tree-lined roads up there right as the worse winds pass through.

Not to mention met are predicting increasing gusts to 100km in Dublin during the game. I'd probably opt to play into the Hill in the 2nd half if I won the cointoss!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Darwin was the only storm I ever experienced in Ireland where I genuinely felt frightened, and I was in my own house in a suburb of Limerick City.

At the storm's height, the entire roof of the house, a two-story regular semi-detached, was creaking and groaning like a living creature. There was no damage but I never heard that sound before or since, and I don't ever want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Wasnt the damage from Darwin caused by a sting jet though? Not the main storm as such? I may be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Another suburban Limerick resident and it was scary AF. I have a downstairs loo that's like a box inside my house - block walls, none of which touch any outside walls and it doesn't have any windows. I hid in there with the dog. There were huge trees knocked near me. It was a miracle nobody was killed or badly hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Off topic posts were deleted clogging up the thread. please refer to the Mod instruction on the opening post.

-------------------------------------------------------

Mod Note: This thread could get busy towards the weekend if a Storm materializes so your cooperation is greatly appreciated to please stay on topic, use appropriate threads and please adhere to the forum charter. Off topic posts cant be moved so will need to be deleted. Everybody is entitled and welcome to post on the topic. This is a thread for weather enthusiasts to discuss ,speculate and give opinion on the upcoming windy weather and post observations and relevant data in a civil and friendly manner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The 18z AROME showing some very strong gusts going right across the country. Very quick system by all accounts, 5pm to 12am for most really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Seems to have cleared in NE Kildare for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Same here in North Cork. There was an hour around lunch time that I have never seen before or since.

Clare (410ft asl)

Here she blows

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Siobhán hinted at red being issued in the far NW tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its coming into view on Sat24

Cloud radar - Live satellite images | SAT24

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wow the GFS is certainly an upgrade along with the AROME. This is the real deal, a true storm with very strong stormy winds crossing the country tomorrow night, starting to see gusts of 120km/h show up well inland, the AROME is a surprise, big jump in wind speeds. This has only been going one way and that is up.

Highlighted some areas below where it looks like straying into Red warning territory.

Clare (410ft asl)

The UKV shows wind gusts exceeding 140kmh in western counties with the risk of damaging gusts later on Sunday night further inland. The most remarkable aspect of Storm Isha is the breadth and scale of its wind field.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Same as that. I was due to drive from west Clare into Limerick that afternoon for a meeting with my dissertation supervisor when a red warning was issued. I mailed them in the morning explaining that it probably wasn't the best idea to drive in. I stood outside around midday and it was so calm you could have lit a match and it wouldn't have flickered. I was feeling like a right eejit until about an hour later when the windows in the house were flexing in the wind 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

We really need an MT evening update to confirm this is a major weather event tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm TAF.s

Knock max gust 55 knots between 5pm-7pm

Shannon 55 knots between 4pm-6pm

Dublin 52 knots between 2pm-10pm

Cork 52 knots between 11am-8pm

Belfast 53 knots between 6pm-9pm

GFS and APERGE showing a similar structure to the Storm now and showing similar wind speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

I posted at the beginning of this thread of the possibility of it being a named storm...... Isha. Docarch replied saying it had an ominous sound to its name and I think he may be right. We're 17km from the Sligo coast up on a ridge and I think this is going to be bad. 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

And with that jetstream being so strong flights from the states are going 1,200km/h compared to 750km/h flying against it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's interesting, I didn't know that's how it works! Cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

No gales in the Midlands. As yet. That was a squall line. And all calm now.

No doubt whatsoever that there wil be gales here late Sunday night however.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

130 kph gusts potentially in Cork City @Meteorite58? 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye go on flight radar and you'll notice it some flights 2 hours ahead of schedule if they follow the jet 😉

• Advertisement
Advertisement