Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gusting fiercely here in Firhouse D24.

Normally we are fairly unscathed by wind events as Dublin mountains are somewhat of a shield but I only ever saw this level of gusts during storm Ophelia.

However the storm hasn't even begun yet and already I'm seeing high level gusts which we haven't experienced in a long time.

I hope Storm Isha won't be as bad as forecast but I fear it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Amber - Wind Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Warning updated and wind speeds upgraded.

Winds are likely to gust to 60 to 70 mph quite widely in inland areas, and 70 to 80 mph around coasts. However there is the possibility of a narrower swathe of even stronger winds crossing parts of the warning area, with gusts of 70 to 80 mph possible inland and perhaps peaking around 90 mph in exposed coastal and hilly areas

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Cork vs Limerick hurling game has been postponed.

Very strong wind in Cork city at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Went out for a quick walk and ended up turning back early, wild out there, Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

It's not too late though. Call it off and tell em turn around.

Madness going ahead with this game. Galway folk will be driving back into a red warning storm area. Derry/Roscommon folk driving in the high of dangerous orange warning conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We're lucky in Galway that the next 2 high tides (2pm & 2:40am) are relatively low - both around 4m mark. Next weekend would have been closer to 5m high tide for example. That 1m can make a huge difference in flooding/overtopping terms. We'll still see some flooding in Salthill roads and car parks as per usual. The Corrib river is also running relatively low thanks to the cold spell which will help a lot.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I hope the GAA's lack of due care doesn't have a bad outcome.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: This thread is very likely to get very busy today and tonight. This thread is solely for the discussion about Storm Isha - what is likely to happen and what is happening.

This thread is not for debate/discussion about the merits/demerits for the current Met E warning system and complaints about warnings 'in my back yard'. I have just set up a new thread for that debate/discussion here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058332472/great-big-weather-warning-general-debate-discussion-thread/p1?new=1

As this thread is likely to be very busy, any posts in this thread debating/discussing Met E warning system may be deleted by Mods without warning or explanation.

Also note that Mods cannot move posts between threads in the same forum (like we used to be able to do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Very poor form from the GAA on this.

I agree fully with you.

However I'm sure the logic from Gaa decision makers is that.....

I genuinely started typing that they were informed by Met eireann guidance....but that doesn't even stack up now 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

There seems to be a hook or sting the tail. Wonder will this will be there when it crosses the country

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

Strong winds and a constant wall off rain all morning in knock Co mayo. Not looking forward to later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There is a more active looking area of this storm about to move inland over the southwest by noon to 2 pm. Ship report in that zone earlier today was SSW 50 kt, unfortunately, one of the key buoys for this storm drifted away in an earlier storm and has been recovered but not yet operational. There are signs of a frontal zone curving ahead of the centre that will be over the western counties later afternoon, let's say 4 to 6 pm. That could be focus for strong gusts inland west, but parallel squall features ahead of it would be a concern for inland south. The Donegal wind warning is not directly related, it's going to develop from a separate part of the storm rotating around the low. So timing of damaging wind gusts may not follow a simple west to east progression, as these different features evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sounds absolutely wild in galway, the wind has just woken me. Sounds worse than anything I've heard in the last twelve months.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

2 aerlingus regional flights diverted to Belfast already, Leeds and Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

No. Test is in North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Gusting to 44 knots now at Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

How do MÈ deal with that then? Are we looking at 130kph plus gusts in those counties??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm in south Dublin myself and can confirm that the sustained winds currently are very unusual for this part of the World, and I'm genuinely concerned about greater strength later.

On the call from the GAA, whatever about the travel scenarios, it is INSANE to be gathering people in Croke Park in wind that is already this bad and getting worse as the day progresses. The risk of debris or any sort of structure getting lose and hitting a crowd is not worth it.

Put it this way I'm in an early 20th Century house with foot thick solid block walls and I can feel a slight shimmy in them when the gusts come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's already quite gusty in Dublin considering it hasn't started yet. Hopefully nothing worse materialises as I have to get my elderly mother into hospital this evening in the middle of it. Her appointments really are bad timing - we had the same the morning of Debi! I hope there's nothing worse than power outages across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Has Isha arrived early currently gusting up to 60 mph on my station in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Please take the GAA talk to the GAA forum. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Status red for Galway on Met Eireann.

The western coast will likely take a heavy battering.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRwRVFtxcdc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Met Office have upgraded the whole of the UK to amber for wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Heading to longford from Trim shortly, to move items to a more secure location as there's a fair chance of a large section of a three bay hay barn collapsing this evening, when the strong winds arrive.

Regular breezy day in Trim at the moment and quite mild, with a few spots of rain. I aim to arrive back to Trim before nightfall, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

No.... Sting jets have a relatively short life span ..

Advertisement