Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Last 5 minutes in West Dublin there's been 2-3 heavy sustained gusts of note. Now unless it's coming from a different direction but definitely hearing it more than before.

Also the trees outside are in constant sway, like a saddened heart waving goodbye to their loved one on a train platform

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I am a big gaa fan but think this discussion re matches today needs to go into gaa forum.

Interesting updates from MT this morning with a lot of uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Covid19

Me neither. I'm on a hill near Knock Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Yep probably not the wisest decision to let the game go ahead in Croker.

I think we have beaten that discussion to death now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Most recent pressure reading from Meteociel. Can't see the lowest number but I think it's around 962hPa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

I think the thread isn’t getting bogged down with non relevant stuff. There are side side contents. Mods shut down some interesting discussions last night also that weren’t hogging the forum. As I see it, Pele here are hanging arrived waiting to see developments. Like any group a few off topic chats will break out but I felt largely the thread was on focus. Certainly from lunchtime it might make sense to scrap off core topic discussion but leave for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Yes of course stupid of me but what was more ment was that another could develop as it wraps around as it's comes closer, a feature that could develop one to keep an eye on I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Storm Isha beginning to wind up as it draws nearer to Ireland's west coast. It may have a sting in its tail which is worth keeping an eye on. Gusting to 140+kmh over open waters. Will strengthen further as it tracks ENE. A 106kmh gust already recorded at Belmullet one hour ago.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Has gotten very gusty in Mullingar all of a sudden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Pjkelly

Was very stormy around 8/9 this morning, Glencar high mountainous area Co. Kerry, calming down a little now

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

When there's an issue with people arriving late to matches or risk of a crowd surge the Gardai step in and require the GAA to push back throw-in times.

I think they have a role here to have a word with them or publically advise people to disregard the GAA and not travel. I've a bad feeling about thousands travelling home to Galway and Derry in the height of this. The chance of something very bad happening is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Its not even the pressure reading but the gradient of the contours. Wow. That is going to slam us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am issuing a severe storm watch valid 1200h-1600h (not yet a warning) in our forecast thread for the following extensive zone, southern to eastern inland counties, bordered by Cork (city), Galway, Dundalk, and Wexford. In that zone, one or two parallel squall line features could develop rapidly between 1200h and 1300h, and would then cross the zone within 2 hours. Cells could contain damaging winds, hail, and even a tornado. Risk assessed as moderate. Will upgrade to a more specific warning if I see evidence on radar. This is not intended to replace any other watches or warnings in coastal areas for later periods, and there could be severe coastal wind gusts in the watch period not associated with storm cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Genuinely concerned about the severe wind streaks shown on Arome for inland areas and the south later tonight when ECM is going for western counties and the north? This storm could hit inland south hard this evening while only being under orange warnings. There are alot of events on today. We are away to one at 4pm and have to go as kids are involved. So driving home in rough conditions. Blowing a mad one already outside and the strong gusts don't arrive until later in the pm. Isha looks to pack a real punch later well inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

In the UK, local police have the final say on football matches going ahead or not when it comes to bad weather events. All junior soccer matches here were called off yesterday evening once it was announced today would be an Orange event. Most sports bodies act responsibly to Orange weather events. Sadly not the GAA who can often be pig headed. They tend to move slowly as there are far too many admin levels, decision and appeal mechanisms in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

picking up here in waterford, gusts becoming more frequent. Not strong but they are rattling the vents in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's gas the people are having a meltdown over the GAA games going ahead on an orange zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wild here in West Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This isn't a local junior soccer match. This is the biggest day in the club calendar in the biggest stadium in Ireland. The Fa Cup final in England wouldn't be called off over weather for example. The stadium itself will be fine. Yes for people travelling is the question and no easy answer to this. I am sure the gaa are engaging with met eireann and the clubs involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not sure how the players can play in these conditions. The ball will hardly travel any distance. We couldn't see the semi because of the fog and now this. Playing GAA matches in December and January in Ireland is madness. We need an indoor stadium like they have in Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The sporting organisations who are proceeding with events today need to give their heads a wobble. Not so long since a triathlon going ahead in dangerous conditions cost lives.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So if M.T. is right some places could see prolonged winds outside of the official warning time period, and in some cases perhaps the winds will exceed the specific warning issued for these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

my trampoline when flying - thats a first so this must be some storm! South Dublin!

Supporters are travelling back into red zones after the game but you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just looking at the met.ie rain radar and watched a rain shower move from limerick to Dublin in an hour.. that fairly rapid

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Downbursts (Straight-Line Winds) caused by downdrafts are a distinct possibility over the next 12 hours. The max 10 minute gust charts are indicative of the winds that could be produced by such a phenomenon. Localised severe gusts of 150+kmh could happen anywhere.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Any organisation not cancelling an event that would involve members travelling during a red alert should be been accountable. Won’t happen if course because.. Ireland.

Hey squeaky rain and the wind has picked up here in north Clare. It was balmy by comparison an hour ago.

Advertisement