Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity credits refused

Options
  • 17-01-2024 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Electricity credits refused because previous owner of house was deemed to be low usage.

Bought house in October

nothing I can do it seems…………is this the worst govt. ever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elnoelio

Same situation here, moved into a vacant property and was just told it was under the threshold! Absolutely ridiculous. Paid thousands in bills last year. There needs to be an appeals process for these situations.

Post edited by elnoelio on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Can understand the same owner not qualifying but t he slate should be wiped clean for new purchaser.

This legislation was written on the back of a fag box it seems.

Yeah, essentially someone else is now getting energy credits based on my usage.

"If you are identified as having a low usage electricity account, your supplier may automatically withhold your credits."

I'm reading this as my supplier (electric Ireland in this case) has my credits but aren't releasing them. I was with them at my previous address so they can see my usage on that account. Been back and forth with them on twitter but no joy so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I had a situation some years ago where an anomaly in a government grant system was unfairly disadvantaging me.

I contacted a prominent opposition TD and they took up the issue.

It was sorted and I got my money.

So, give it a try and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

This was raised in the Dáil today. Minister (Heather Humphries) said she wasn't aware of the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Same here, bought a house in November and it had been vacant for most of the last 2 years. I can't get these credits either due to low usage! Its insane and its discriminatory. I'd be delighted to see what any posters did to resolve this, maybe local TD is the best way, the energy companies don't want to know!

There you are, a chink in the armour.

It's nothing to do with energy companies.

This is political.

Go in that direction, all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Ask sinn fein.

They went on and on and on about low users getting it last time, hence low users were taken out this time.

But the complaints here are not low users.

They are losing out because previous owners were low users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

There has to be a reference date. How can it be known that someone is about to move into a previous low usage house.

• Advertisement

Yes there is no problem with the suppliers.

The seller pays up to date and the buyer takes over and pays from then.

It happens all the time.

This is an issue with the Government credit and they need to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Wasn’t the low usage to stop holiday homes from getting it?

I guess depends on when you bought the house and what date was taken on giving the payment. Argument might be you got it in old house but there’ll always be someone who misses out when there’s a criteria but really there should be an appeals process

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They have set a low useage amount threshold, I don't recall this being mentioned when it was originally rolled out, here's the details, seems unfair if property changed hands in the meantime, I'd try to appeal it.

Properties with very low levels of use will not automatically get the credits.

The low usage threshold is where you use less than 150kWh (kilowatt-hour) of energy a quarter between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023.

The low usage threshold does not apply in the following cases:

You are on, or are entitled to be on, the vulnerable customer register

You have a hardship PAYG meter

You have a microgeneration account

but who do you appeal it to? Department of Social protection, Dept of Finance, Energy Company? Who do you ask? I'm with Energia since I bought my house in November, they can't sort it.

The departments will just brush you off, the supplier can't help you.

There is no appeal process.

You suggested a local TD in your first post, that could be a good start.

A shadow spokesperson might very well take up the cudgel on your behalf.

Good luck.

M

I'd try with Dept Of Finance first to see what they recommend you do, has to be a lot of cases with vacant and recently renovated homes being bought and complaints about it. A TD would be no harm to contact as they are likely to have experience with previous cases.

If you have billing evidence from previous home/rented home that between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023 your bills were over 150kWh a quarter you could use to help your case if it's questioned whether you would be using the required amount.

It may all be futile and you will get nowhere but certainly worth chasing it up, it's €450 worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doc22

it's to stop holiday homes from getting it.

M

Looks like the loophole for the holiday homes was if the bill payer was 66 or older, this would register them as a vulnerable customer (with Electric Ireland anyways) and so get around the rules. I know of a couple of cases where holiday homes have got it and that's the pattern of those who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Stiro05

We bought a vacant house in sept 2022, and have spent the last year renovating the house. The usage up to mid november 2023 was minimal, and did not meet the 150kwh threshold, but I received all the credits in early 2023 with sse airtricity. We moved to flogas and when I received my January 24 bill, noticed no credits. They stated the 150kwh rule, which is the first I heard of it. I can't help but feel the supplier does have a say on this and use the loophole to suit themselves as I received all the previous credits last time round. Since I moved in to the house we have used exceeded that threshold, but because it's based on 2022/2023 usage, it's basically tough luck according to flogas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have a feeling I’m in the same boat! Bought a house in October and haven’t received a credit!

Get together folks.

Form a campaign/working group, call it what you will.

Believe me this anomaly can be reversed with a bit of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dehumidifier on 24/7 to battle the North Atlantic getting in does it too, I'm a long way off 66!

(it is actually set to a target % humidity, it just never gets there)

Credits landed today. I'm with Electric Ireland and was in my last place aswell so they could see my usage last year. Took a number of messages on twitter (and being told I wasn't getting them) until the support rep eventually consulted with their manager and were advised to log a query for investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anthonyjithin

I'm having the same issue with electric Ireland, we moved into a new build on September and the meter has less than 150 units per month so falls under low consumption.

Electric Ireland told me to appeal this with CRU, I did call them and explained the issue. They asked me to go back to electric Ireland and raise a complaint saying that CRU has already addressed this issue with electric Ireland and new customers with moving home are eligible for govt credit. I'm waiting for a response on the complaint.

CRU added that if they again deny the credit then get it in writing as in email or a letter stating the reason to deny credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bensimp

Hi all

I had this issue as well.( bought a vacant property and the historical usage was too low) I was passed from pillar to post from  Flogas ( my Supplier)  to ESB to CRU . I had given up as the CRU said there was  nothing I could do . Then out of the blue I got the below form FloGas and the credits were issued as it is my primary residence.

“On 22nd January 2024, the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications in conjunction with the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities contacted electricity suppliers. Electricity suppliers now have the option to apply the credit to customers where your “low usage” query was for your primary residence. As this is the case in your particular circumstances, any credit(s) that we have received for you will now be applied to your account.”

My advise contact your supplier and open a complaint case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I made a fuss and after an exchange of 4 or 5 emails Electric Ireland agreed to give me the credit and arrived in my account the same day! Worth pursuing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Victory here too after a long battle..... Local politicians engaged and eventually they caved

Thanks to all for advice on here.

Advertisement