Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi adapter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Who is your internet provider and what package you on?

When you say "WiFi" do you mean wireless or this what you(son) call internet(a lot of people do, incorrectly)

WiFi speed usually is slower than your best speed on cable(Ethernet) connection. And dont be falling for 1300Mbps advertisement BS in descriptions. WiFi speed will never exceed your "up to" package from ISP

First see and confirm that WiFi problem is on PC and not on your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's with VM, 500mb. Yes it's a wireless connection which I'm guessing is dropping. I'm thinking if I get a dual band WiFi adapter it should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭User567363

Is it possibal to run a cable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can you get specs make/model of current adapter in PC (should be able to read from network settings)

One band usually imply 2.4GHz. This is slower than 5GHz, but better distance/signal propagation. If signal is not strong enough, 5GHz might be not better.

Does your mobile phone show good coverage and speed on WiFi in the same location as that computer?

Cable connection would be my preference, especialy for stationary computer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Powerlink adaptors and cable every time tbh. I love WiFi but for heavy loading cable wins every time.

Also frees up the WiFi for others in the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Yes to all above- run a cable to get full speed.

but if that is not an option- its probably not the wifi adapter at fault if its new- most likely you need a better wifi router.

The official Virgin Media router (white tall thing) that is not built into the horizon box is pretty decent.. but you can get better

Another cheap fix is to put the usb wifi adapter he has in a usb extension cable and position it higher up on the wall away from the pc metal case to a place there is better reception. You can get for under 2 euros - but here is long 3m one locally.

https://www.diy.ie/departments/tristar-black-extension-lead-with-usb-3m/571387_BQ.prd

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

This worked, I have a powerlink that was up on the landing, I've now moved it under his desk and connected a cat6 cable to his pc, he now has 47/50 mbps, he's now using steam with his quest2 VR, so he's a happy boy. Cheers lads.

Advertisement