Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic - draught

• 18-01-2024 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭

We're in a newish build (2018). There is a draught coming through some of the openings connecting the solar panels into the attic. I'm looking to close them up. What would be recommended material to use?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! A draft through the rafter mounts where they passed through the felt, or how do you mean? Can you see the holes or how do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Presume this is a cold space attic? It's meant to have draughts. As long as its not leaks I.e water.

If its a warm attic then that's different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No leaks. Is it rules/regulation that require the draughts?

I might just pop new seal around the ladder door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yep the rafters etc need airflow to prevent condensation and rotting anyway so if this is a normal cold space attic then so long as no leaks and the gaps are small then it will do no harm as insulated attics tend to have vents to actually help. Extra seals on attic door a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cheers - thanks @kennethsmyth & @listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was going to add that if you have gaping holes in the felt that are left open, it can allow debris and insects in and could potentially let wind-driven rain-water in also. Often it's not a problem as the solar mounts should be on the rafters where the felt is at it's highest point horizontally, hence my question about the holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

I had this issue too, well cold draft from the attic stairs, bought one of these for 30 euros. Works a treat.

Stapled it every couple of inches on the boards that were up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They're great, good idea to silicone all round the timber and then staple over top. Seals the sides fully and provides adhesion too.

• Advertisement

Balls, should of thought of that first, good point, but for now it's made a huge difference, was skeptical at first but thought why not at the price.

Advertisement